Corydora's dying abruptly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aeady

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I've lost 4 of 6 cory panda's in about a week. I'm very worried for the remaining fish.

1~What type of fish is afflicted?

Of the 4 cories that have died, 3 were overnight deaths, with no visible signs of stress or sickness leading up. 1 was attacked by the other fish in the tank, losing much of his tail and died (I assume) from stress/injuries.

I'm worried for the two remaining cories, one looks fine, is eating, and active - but that's how the others were before they died. The other has, nearly overnight, developed white lines/patches (see picture). Which look like a bacterial/fungal infection, but I can't match it to pictures I've seen online. Otherwise it is active and still eating.

2~What are your tank parameters
  • pH: 6.2
  • Alkalinity: ~40
  • Chlorine: 0
  • Harness: ~150
  • Nitrite: 0
  • Nitrate: ~20

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
It's a 30 gallon tank, set up for about 6 months.
It has several types of live plants that provide cover.

Substrate is not ideal for cories, it is larger, but smooth.
There is a layer of fertilizing substrate under the rocks.

4~What type of filtration are you using?
Filtration is Aqueon Quietflow 30. Lists 200 gph.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
  • 2 Cory pandas, < 1"
  • 1 Pleco, ~ 2"
  • 3 Platies, 2"
  • 9 Tetras, 2"

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
Water change and vacuum were about a week ago. Have been changing and vacuuming roughly every two weeks.

7~How long have you had the fish?
All but 3 cories have been in the tank since it was set up.
The newest 3 have been in for about a month (purchased early Jan).

8~Have you added anything new to the tank
No changes except replacement of filter at last water change.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish
Tropical fish flakes
Sinking algae disks

Attachments

• cory.jpg
    cory.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 106
Hello, what is the level of ammonia in your tank? The other aspects seem fine, but high ammonia could be a factor in the death of your little corys. The picture you have of your Cory looks to be like some form of fungal infection or irritation on the skin. Have you used any medications in your tank recently?

Hi _Drago_, thanks for the reply. I tested the ammonia and it is high (1ppm). I've removed some dead leaves that were attached to a plant and added a neutralizer as a temporary fix.

Strangely enough, since my post the white patches have disappeared from my one cory. He doesn't look quite like the other cory - he's lighter in colour. I'm not sure if that's variation, or if he's still showing signs of some infection. I had not dosed the tank with anything for a month or two, so I don't think it's a reaction to a foreign chemical.

I've noticed today that the 'healthy' cory is travelling to the surface every 5min or so to gulp air. This is a sign of stress, yes? I guess I'm not quite safe yet.

Perhaps bacterial infection in catfish is different than normal fish because of their scales are different? It should look more like an inside the body lesion, not this type of mold on the outside.
It could be a columnaris infection, or it could be skin parasite costia.
Im gonna say columnaris, because skin parsites should not be fatal, at least not so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom