Cotton mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi AA community,

I believe my little neon has developed cotton mouth. I have never had a disease in my tank before so i am fairly new to treating diesases. I did some research and i am certain he has it. I went out and brought some tri sulfa and melafix. I have taken out ordaments and got my nets, siphon and algae scrubber and am currently soaking them in a bleach and water mix. I have only left the plants and driftwood in the tank as im not sure how they would handle the bleach. I have treated my whole tank (i dont have a hosp tank) how long till i see results?

As with any disease I would recommend a quarantine tank. With fish, diseases don't go away overnight. I would quarantine the infected fish while the display tank is cleaned. You can also do your treatments in the QT tank if the disease has been properly diagnosed.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It would be better to use kanmycin plus furan 2 to treat columnaris or other bacterial infections in the future. Triple sulfa is oldschool and bacteria may be resistant, plus its not as effective as modern kanmycin. You need to find a true "fish" only store near you if there is one.

Back
Top Bottom