Could someone please help me out here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,
I have probably asked a similar question about a bajillion times, but I think I finally have a stocking plan, so I seek some advice.

First off, I have a 20 gallon tank. It's stocked so far with 5 male Guppies, 4 Julii Cories, and 6 Neon Tetras.
I would like to increase the school a bit so I plan to add 2 more Neons.

Everything was doing well, I added fish very slowly, etc.
That was originally my final stocking plan, but I really feel I have room for some more. So, as mentioned above, I plan to add 2 more Neons. I also would like to add a male Dwarf Gourami.

Now. Here is where I need some advice/experience/tips. I have heard such different things about a DGs temperament. Would this be an okay fish to add?
I do not like the Honey Gouramis, but I do love the DGs.
So, advice on that would be great!

Finally, I was thinking of adding two Red Cherry Shrimp. They have virtually no bioload so I suspect it shouldn't really effect my tank too much. However, I do not have Java Moss and such. Just white sand as a substrate, all silk plants, and a one bamboo stalk. I do have quite a bit of algae to be eaten up, though. What kind of algae do RCS eat? Also, would they do okay in my tank? I'm not 100% set on them, I just like them. I do really want a DG though- they're so beautiful!

Thoughts and help would be great!
Thanks so much for your time and patience :)

It would depend on the individual temperment of the gourami. Some are more territorial than others. I've seen it work out fine.

I have a colony of RCS I keep in a nursery for baby guppies. I've tried adding adults to tanks with neons and guppies and they never seem to survive long.

Have you looked at amano shrimp? They are not as colorful, but they grow larger, eat more algae, live longer and do really well with tetras, guppies, bettas.

More Questions!

It would depend on the individual temperment of the gourami. Some are more territorial than others. I've seen it work out fine.
Yeah. I get told that a lot. It seems like it's a hit or miss temperament wise. I think I'm just going to look for a healthy yet docile one at the store.

I have a colony of RCS I keep in a nursery for baby guppies. I've tried adding adults to tanks with neons and guppies and they never seem to survive long.
How come?

Have you looked at amano shrimp? They are not as colorful, but they grow larger, eat more algae, live longer and do really well with tetras, guppies, bettas.
Yeah, I have- there okay. It's fine if I cant get RCS if there not going to do well in my tank. (want what's best for the fishies!) Just curious as to why? About how long is there lifespan anyway?

The RCS live around two years under perfect conditions. They are small and many fish see them as food and they get eaten. The babies never survive around tetras or guppies. They become meals.

The amano shrimp can live up to five years. They are just a little tougher and they are really entertaing to watch. They eat most kinds of algae, except for the hard green stuff.

Ok, thanks. I don't think there would be a problem with having adult RCS in my tank, right? Do you think the Guppies would pick on them? I don't have many hiding spots. I know the Neons will leave them alone- they're shy.

But most of all, what about the Cories? Do these bottom dwellers get along?
Thanks for the help!
Hopefully I can get a few more opinions on this. (anyone feel free to add your thoughts on this forum)

My guppies definately pick on RCS. So do the neons. They don't bother amanos though. Just my experience.

Alright, that's fine. I won't get the RCS. Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom