Could this be dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starquest

Aquarium Advice Activist
2011-10-06_18-07-54_92.jpg

This is an upside down catfish that we have had for about 3 1/2 years, and he just developed this growth or lumps today. The tank params are: NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 10 - 20, pH 7.6, temp 89. He has been acting strangely, shimmying occasionly, for a couple of days; but I can't think of anything else. The other fish are fine. He is about 2 inches long.

Anyone have ANY thoughts? Should I be worried? I have never seen anything like t his. Should I be thinking euthanasia? It seems double in size now.

Attachments

• 2011-10-06_21-34-39_200.jpg
    2011-10-06_21-34-39_200.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 72
Whatever it is, it definitely looks bad. I'd say either dropsy or some sort of... I dunno, tumor? How long did it take for the lump to develop?

(btw - completely random and off-topic: in your sig, Rick O'Barry made "The Cove," not Rick Perry :p)

It could be a fast growing tumor or some other kind of mass since it's bulging and lumpy like that. I don't think it's dropsy though.

I think, that it developed over a period of 1 -2 days, although I can't be positive. I am pretty sure I would have noticed it previously, but if it was slow growing, maybe not. I have been watching him, in particular, because he just seemed different for the last few days, but I couldn't say how, just a feeling I had. No one else in the family noticed it before yesterday either. It looks about the same today as it did last nite, and he seems listless, but not particularly stressed.

Back
Top Bottom