Could you help diagnose this image?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arkived

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My dwarf gourami is looking sick and has this eye issue going on. It looks a little swollen like popeye and has this redness to it. Almost looks like a growth. He normally is pretty active and swimming around the entire tank but now is just chilling at the bottom and isn't eating like he normally does. He's also breathing heavily. I just set up a quarantine tank for him but any idea on which specific meds or remedy i should use? Thank you much.

Oh backstory, I have been on vacation for awhile and I did not have the caretaker do any water changes so I missed a couple. I normally do it once a week. When I came home there was a bloom of blue green algae on floating plants which I removed.

Attachments

• 12015329_10153671864522495_934001745_o.jpg
    12015329_10153671864522495_934001745_o.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 51
That looks pretty severe.

I'm going to say it's a case of DGIV. DGIV stands for Dwarf Gourami Irodovirus. It's a genetic disorder specific to gourami, mainly dwarfs.

Symptoms can start with lethargy, refusing to eat, loss of color, heavy breathing, and more.

Sorry but if indeed it is DGIV it is incurable. :(

Caleb

Hi there, got any water chemistry readings as well? I was assuming you did a water change when back, did that help?

As above viral, or bacterial (gram negative) would be next thought.

Back
Top Bottom