couple ID questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfgiantfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Black mold --
Something seems to be happening to my polyps. The rock used to have a lot more of them on there and they're slowing disappearing. Some of them look like they're half eaten (A in first photo). Also, there is some kind of black mold around and on some polyps (B in first photo). It sort of flakes away when I scratch if off the rock although I can't seem to carefully dislodge it from the larger polyps. I'm wondering if the black mold stuff is related to the slow demise of these guys.

Black sponge --
On a piece of live rock about the size of a deck of cards, there is some black spongy material (second photo). I thought it was inert when we got the rock. My son pointed out recently that it is now growing. It feels sort of like plastic and has a couple spots where there are holes or craters in it. It seems to be spreading, so I'm wondering if it's dangerous and how I can get rid of it. Like I said, the rock is small, so I guess I can boil it or something if need be.

These two black id items are only similar in their coloring. They're very different in terms of texture.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• polyps.jpg
    polyps.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 87
  • black stuff.jpg
    black stuff.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 93
picture 2 is not dangerous. it's just sponge. i don't know what the black growth is on the buttons. i'm guessing that's not what's killing them though. it's not on all of the closed ones...just a few.

Thanks for your help. I'm less worried now. Hopefully the buttons will bounce back.

Back
Top Bottom