Couple nudies on some of my zoos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can see 2 of them eating my zoos right now. They appear to be munching on the stalk of the coral about midway up and carving circles around it then moving to the next one and doing the same thing, while the nudi is eating them they retract and when they stop they expand again. Quite interesting but what is the best way to remove these guys? A pair of tweezers maybe?

If you can remove them that way then do it. Any way you can will help. They dont move that fast so you should be OK.

Zoo eating nudis can take some work to get rid of. They have eggs on the stalks of the polyps that you will not be able to see and many of them will even turn the color of the zoo.

You should pull your zoos out and dip them in a lugols iodine solution. After the dip you need to scrape the eggs off the stalks. I know this seems like a lot of work but you will not erradicate them unless this is done. I have a huge writeup on it I can send you, pm me.

Don't dip in just the iodine. You need to do a FW dip with about 5 drops of iodine per gal of FW. Make sure to match PH with your tank. Dip them for about 5-10 minutes and give them a good shaking in the water to throw any weak ones off.

Then you need to inspect the stalks for the egg sacks. They look like little curly strings. I used a blue led flashlight or an actinic build to help see the eggs. They glow a bit under blue light. Scrape the eggs off with an old tooth brush or similar and rinse them again in the FW.

Add them back to the tank and turn off your MH or intense lighting for the day. I just ran the actinics at this point.

There is a long thread on RC about these suckers. Some wrasse are good at eating the nudis but they are hit and miss.

Yes I have read about this quite alot but never had them. I just wanted to add that you should really treat all your zoos, not just the ones that you see the nudis on. No worries either I have treated all zoos with betadine or providone they will not be harmed. I also treat all my corals with interceptor for red bugs just in case even if not on an SPS colony.

The link at RC:http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6d2af25823975c864223f2d3024e9276&threadid=533167

Back
Top Bottom