Couple Of IDs Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAB22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
im new to these boards and to SW aquariums so am very much still a begginer,
really good site here found loads of info and tips.

If anyone could possibly id a couple of things ive seen on my LR i would be most grateful,

firstly im pretty sure i have a bristleworm about 4" long though not sure if it is a good one or bad, sorry havent managed to get a photo of it just yet all i can say is that it seems to have a gray stripe down the middle with red on its edges by the bristles.

Secondly (i noticed this the day i got the rock), there is a very small white flower like thing which is probably about 5-10mm across, too small to take a clear picture unfortunately, it has a body part attached to the rock which is tan coloured with brownish spots on (it almost looks cylindrical in shape) then on top of this is the flower thing which opens and retracts like tentacles maybe? Not sure if this is some sort of anemone.

Anyway if someone cold perhaps id them and let me know if they are good or bad.

If needed i cold draw up a little pic of the anemone thing and get a picture of the worm.

Thanks.

Without pics, its really difficult to say but I'm gonna offer that the worm you are seeing is a common bristleworm and nothing to worry about. The second critter sounds like it could be a peanut worm. They have fan like appendages that come out to gather food from the rocks and sand, and retract back into themselves. Another harmless and common hitchhiker.

Thanks for the help guys,

After checking a few photos on that site and further searching i think it may actually be (looks similar to one anyway) a zoanthid.

Do these open and retract?

They don't necessarily retract. They will close up in a ball but it's not a super fast movement. When it retracts, does it completely disappear? Could be a feather duster.

Yes all the tentacle looking things sort of go inside by the looks of things almost as though it is going back in on its self when it does retract or open it takes around a minute maybe to do so (from what ive seen).

Ive attached the best picture i could take of it sorry about the quality but thats at full zoom, and also a little doodle i done of what it kinda looks like sometimes the tentacles appear up in the air though.

Attachments

• 21042008046.jpg
    21042008046.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 23042008056.jpg
    23042008056.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 59
Your drawing would lead me to think it is a coral polyp. I'd just keep an eye on it. :)

Back
Top Bottom