Course of action?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking for some opinions on what others would do in my position.

So a bit of back story.

I had a case of internal parasites/worms that almost wiped my whole tank out. All that remain are a single neon and my 2 inch angelfish. I did a 2 week long treatment of API general cure because it's the only thing locally I could find that treated internal parasites or worms. The angel has finally stopped having white squiggling "poohs" and is doing better. I'm just not sure if I've fixed the issue or not.

My big symptoms aside from the white squiggles from the anus was that all of my fished stopped eating and kept hiding and then would die. My neon is totally fine. It's pretty much got a 30 gallon tank to itself. I haven't seen my angel eat any offered food in over 3 weeks. I have caught him picking at the sides of the tank and algae growth in the tank in the past 2 weeks since starting treatment but when ever I'm near the tank he's hiding in the back behind the plants and D/W. When my lights are off/on low I will catch see from across the room come out and swim around the tank and a few times I can see him out and about when the room is just empty but he's still really timid and spends a great deal of the time hiding.

Now I'm not sure if the hiding is just that he's spooked from the past few weeks. I lost about 14 fish total. He was very social and spent a lot of timing "hanging out" with my platies and gourami.

So I'm almost 2 weeks free of meds, no one has died or shown any worsening effects.. What would you do? Do you think the timid behavior could be stress from loosing so many tank mates? Would you start adding fish back in at some point soon? I have an empty 20 gallon tank I can set up if that makes a difference to how you would handle this situation.

I saw long white stringy things from different fishes. Just from the anus. I am not sure if it's poop or worms but a few different fish had this issue and internal parasites/worms is the only thing I can find that explains the deaths I've had spanning over about 8 weeks.

It's hard to say if the problem is solved since you aren't sure what parasite you were treating. I would proceed with caution. Maybe add 2 fish and see how they do for a long enough time to see if they get ill(maybe a couple of months). Then, if all goes well, add more.

I'm in the same uncertain boat. I have an angel that has been acting timid and not very hungry. Just seems a little off. Was the by any chance swelling behind the gills like in my pic? I can't seem to find out why it's acting strange.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130116_042702.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_042702.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 48
I had a similar issue. Try buying your angel New Life Spectrum food and see if he eats it. It has elements in it that will help him heal. And actually, my angel wouldn't eat his normal food, but he ate the New Life Spectrum right away.

Back
Top Bottom