Crab Trap TOO Successful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set a crab trap again last night (trying to remove all non-hermit crabs) and it was overly zealous. Not only did I catch one crab (bristle body, tan in color, black tipped claws) but I caught 2 crabs. Problem being, is they had a fight to the death overnight in the trap. Oh well...

BTW, if your interested in the design:

Take 1 glass jar (Jelly Jars are a good size) and clean it really well. Rinse it under hot water three times more than you think it takes to make sure nothing is residual on it. Tie a piece of bait (I use a shrimp and scallop thick blend) with fishing line securely. Clip off one end of the fishing line, and at the other attach one 1/8oz split shot. Put the bait in the jar and sink the jar at a slight angle against the rock known to be frequented by the crab just before lights out. You're probably going to have to wait until the next morning since the crabs won't really come out with you around, but I am 3 for 2 (yes, 3 for 2, not 2 for 3 since I caught 2 this time :D ) with this trap.

Back
Top Bottom