Cracked aquarium bottom (pics added)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am now the proud owner of an 80g bow front aquarium that has two cracks in the bottom.

The tank is ported (drilled) and the cracks run from the holes,one to the side and one to the front.

I have no idea if it will hold water (it might),but I'll probably never know.

The question is...am I screwed?Any options?

cracks0297df.jpg

cracks0313us.jpg

cracks0323xa.jpg

Not sure if it can be done, but if a glass place could cut a piece of glass to fit inside the tank on the bottom, then sealed all the way around, it might work. But being a bowfront, not sure if it would be worth trying. But it's just an idea.

I believe that most tanks that size have tempered glass bottoms, which makes getting a replacement piece made a very expensive proposition - the glass has to be shaped and drilled before it is tempered.

Yea...its the shape thats will make a challenging task.

I wonder if a thick piece of acryllic (sp?) cut to fit and sealed to the top the bottom glass as well as the sides would hold?

Also....if you look at the reflection in pic #2 it seems I'm haunted by a cat lol.

It's possible. The more area of the bottom that it covers, the stronger it will be. Then if any of the crack is exposed, then just cover that small amount with sealant, so water won't leak through the crack.

If you want the bottom drilled, the bottom piece doesn't need to be tempered. You can remove the piece and replace it. Perhaps, you can buy a replacement from the manufacturer. You could also get a piece to either fit in side, or , outside and silicone it in place. Acrylic will not work because you can't count on silicone maintaining a bond with it. Looking at the crack, I suspect it is not tempered, since it cracked and didn't shatter. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of glass could illuminate that point.

Perhaps, you can buy a replacement from the manufacturer

I have an email into perfecto but I have yet to get a response.Thats the name on the stand anyway...kinda assuming they made the tank too.

Thanks for the suggested links guys.I'll contact em both.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom