Cracked center brace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank. It has a cracked center brace. I'm working on reinforcing it so it does not bust out. I wanted to get some feedback on the best method of reinforcement.
The crack runs with the brace (not horizontally across).

Options:

1) loctite bond the plastic. -done
2) Glass or acrylic siliconed in place under/to the center brace.
3) euro-bracing - sounds like a pita
4) wood frame around the top tank frame siliconed in place that will make a base for a canopy.
5) order new plastic frame and replace the old one. I hear this is difficult on newer tanks.
6) just buy a new tank.

Thoughts/experiences? I would like to salvage the tank if possible and it is not cost prohibitive.

Thanks.

I'm hoping a combo of bonding the center brace, adding support underneath, and building a wood frame will be sufficient.

If it was me I would just buy a new brace for that tank. I`ve never done it but I hear it`s not that hard.

I was thinking the same thing after reading about it online. My lfs will order one but he strongly discouraged it. He went on and on about the difficulty and possible breakage of the tank. I think he was hoping I would just buy a new tank.

If you can, get a new brace. The tank will break down the road without repairing that brace.

I had a similar situation on my 125g. I couldn't find a replacement so I made one using aluminum. It's best just to get it done and replace it with what you can.

Back
Top Bottom