Crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
I bought some plants today from our local pet store and this one went on a free ride. Is it a crayfish? And if it is, is it okay for him to be in my freshwater community tank? What will they eat? He's in a 20g long tank with 9 mollies and 5 danios.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1438804261043.jpg
    1438804261043.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 63
  • 1438804284847.jpg
    1438804284847.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 56
Looks like a Mountain Rock shrimp if I'm not mistaken. As far as I know they are herbivores/omnivores and don't harm fish

Check out Bamboo Shrimp/ as mentioned Rock Flower shrimp (so many common names for them), it is a filter feeder shrimp and can get to be 3.5-4 in.

Great in a mature, tank with great flow, and no predators. They are really fun to watch. I don't have any now but when I did they would sit on the rocks and DW and just filter away near the HOB outflow.

I would feed crushed flake periodically a couple hours before a big pwc and to not foul up the water. Lucky hitch hiker!

Looks like a Mountain Rock shrimp if I'm not mistaken. As far as I know they are herbivores/omnivores and don't harm fish

I'm glad this one will not harm fish. I kind of feel safe after I saw one of my molly just stayed beside it with no problem. Thank you so much.

Check out Bamboo Shrimp/ as mentioned Rock Flower shrimp (so many common names for them), it is a filter feeder shrimp and can get to be 3.5-4 in.

Great in a mature, tank with great flow, and no predators. They are really fun to watch. I don't have any now but when I did they would sit on the rocks and DW and just filter away near the HOB outflow.

I would feed crushed flake periodically a couple hours before a big pwc and to not foul up the water. Lucky hitch hiker!

Oh wow that's good to know. I got fortunate. Yay! This guy is like 2" now. So still lots of room to grow. :) it was staying in my driftwood when I realized I had an additional invert. ;-) i gotta name it now. Still don't know if it's a male or female. Thank you so much.

wow lucky guy, these are $11 at my lfs, flower shrimp/bamboo shrimp very cool

"He" don't know M or F, should get much prettier reddish color, maybe not but usually will brighten up as they get used to the tank and better water parameters and conditions than the lfs.

here is one I had when it first went into the tank and then after a couple hours of getting happy! I need a new one or 2!
60074-albums11380-picture65409.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture65254.jpg

One other comment I found out about. If its filter fans are blackish they are likely ammonia damaged. I had this happen when someone fish sat for me (and overfed big time) and it took some target feeding a 1-2 times a week and a molt, actually 2 molts to be all back to normal. Point being the little guy lived a long time after that.

They normally will have their filters out most of the time. You can use a dollar store turkey baster to shoot some food mixed with tank water in front of him.

Back
Top Bottom