Crazy ammonia spike! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Binkiesbuns

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, thanks again for the advice I got earlier on my cycling question. I was wondering if anyone could maybe help me with an issue im having with another of my tanks ?
I have one 10 inch axolotl in a 180l tank with an eheim aquaball 180 internal filter and 2 small sponge filters which has been cycled since Jan. Every week I do a pwc with decholrinated water and once a month clean the filter media in some of the removed tank water and test parameters. For months now everything has been fine ( 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate not exceeding 20) and then last sun night after noticing the little guy had developed fungus I checked the water and the ammonia read 8ppm! :eek: I have no idea how this happened- no dramatic cleaning had been done, changes in feeding or stock had been added, I checked the filters and nothing was clogged. I have been doing 25% water changes everyday since, reduced feeding and have got the ammonia down to 1ppm. The nitrite has remained 0, nitrate is bearly readable and thankfully the fungus has gone. Has my cycle crashed do you think and needs to cycle again or is it simply not handling the bioload anymore? Sorry for the long post, ive added a small eheim pick-up internal filter with media from an established tank to try and help but the ammonia has remained at a steady 1.0 for 3 days now and im not sure if im missing something or doing the wrong thing :/

Has it grown? What's the dimensions of your tank? A 10" fish is quite large and would need some room and as it grows it's going to put out more waste. You might want to upgrade filters; a larger canister filter might be a good idea to allow more surface area for bacteria to grow on.

Not sure I can help here other than to say stay on top of things! The canister sounds like a good idea. And potentially a bigger tank. 180L that's about 50g and is probably getting a little narrow for a 10" salamander to turn around in.

As I'm sure you know axolotl are really sensitive.

Good luck they really are amazing creatures.

Back
Top Bottom