Creating new water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djones169

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi again all.

So for my 55g tank, I want to make a holding tank for new saltwater so I don't have to make it up as I go along. I have a big tub, some salt, and a 450gph submersible pump. Is this adequate?

Also, aside from the chlorine&chloramines, is there anything I have to worry about with tap water? I can treat for heavy metals if necessary. I just really want to find a way around the whole lugging of hundreds of lbs of water. I have the algae from tap water solved so no worry there. Input? Btw this is not a reef tank. FOWLR

yeah heavy metals and nitrates/phosphates in the tap water.

treat the tap water with a reverse osmosis system. i really dont' get why so many peopel fight getting and would rather "treat" the water. in the long run the $200 you'd spend on the RO/DI would be well worth the hassles of treating the water and or dosing it when you have high levels of garbage in your water columb

not your fish, they will be able to handle it but if you plan on goign FOWLR or reef then the inverts and critters on the rock will not be able to handle the copper in the water

yeah heavy metals and nitrates/phosphates in the tap water.

treat the tap water with a reverse osmosis system. i really dont' get why so many peopel fight getting and would rather "treat" the water. in the long run the $200 you'd spend on the RO/DI would be well worth the hassles of treating the water and or dosing it when you have high levels of garbage in your water columb

alot of reasons some dont know about ro water, some people cant afford it some peoples tap water in their local area is fine for them i know when i lived in new orleans i used tap water on my reef tank for a year and i never had algae problems that doesnt mean everyone should do that but in the city i live in now (atlanta) the tap water has 1.0 phosphates off the bat so i cant use it

yuo can't really remove att the heavy metals from the water. in my oppinion its just mor headaches to try then to just get an Ro/DI system

Without one, you will be getting algae problems later.like cyano.

cyano is a nitrate causing algae it will always bee around, just get some doos grazing dnails and hermits

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom