Creature found- culprit killing Duncans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi

I posted a thread a while ago which mentioned my Duncans dying off. I described the signs to the LFS and was told it was probably "bale out" and that it was not really known what causes it- maybe a bacteria. I lost a $100 coral..in fact the two Duncans I had just bought from same LFS.

The same thing started happening today ( bale out ) around the stem so I decided to frag the good parts so the bacteria didn't spread but in the process, the "bale out" ( what I thought was the Duncan coming out of the side of the stem) fell off- two of them. This is not part of the Duncan! It looks like a type of mollusc ??? Has this thing been killing my Duncans? So annoyed and what do I do with them?

Attachments

• 20131006_141054.jpg
    20131006_141054.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 20131006_124040.jpg
    20131006_124040.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Why, that looks to be a nudibranch. Never seen one like that before.

Thanks- I just googled 'nudibranch' and they are not reef friendly for sure! Is there any good reason to keep them? I have a spare tank I am cycling with live rock- I could transfer them to?

Those little white flowers at the base are the egg ribbons containing 1000s of eggs. They are so slimy I had to use a paper towel to get them off using a separate container and rinsing the rock with fresh salt water. I placed the Duncans into the QT tank as I saw movement from within one of the polyps before I realised there were nudibranchs in the tank.

Before anyone comments, I am sure the nudibranch is more deadly for my fish and corals than the paper towel fibres which may have microscopically remained, but it was the best I could manage under the circumstances. They were also at the back of a rock so now I am expecting more in the tank. I am seriously not having a good run with marine as a choice :( Has anyone else come across this problem and knows how to eradicate them? I will keep googling in the meantime.:fish2:

The only thing I can say is dip your corals no matter where or who you get them from. For me it's a must just like qting fish. I use brightwell coral dip works good for me.

Back
Top Bottom