Creep factor +20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok,
Not sure if this is the right catagory, so move it if in wrong place. I'm sure a new hitchhiker is a bristle worm. It is cream colored, skinny and about 8 inches long and comes out when the lights go off. . It does have the bristles and looks like a centipede from ****. It is way too creepy. My question is will it do any damage to the creatures that are in the tank? The psyco domino wants to eat it, but he is never quite quick enough to drag it out of the rock it dides in. I can leave it alone, as it hides when the lights are on, but will it do any damage during the night? If so, how do I get rid of it?
thanks,

This is a bristle worm.

bristleworm2.jpg

It looks like the Eunicid except that it's tail comes to a point with no appendages, and it's head is rounded with no appendages. I could see that maybe te tail appendages, if pushed together,might make the same exctreme point on the tail, butit dosn't seem to have appendages on the head. Maybe a juvinile has less pronounced appendages? If it is a baby, it's gonna be huge! Are the Eunicids bad? This guy is about a 1/4 of width of a bristle and a solid, dull creeam color. It is really long in proportion to it's width. I tried to get a pic, but the flash scared it back into the rock, and it was a lot more cautious after that. Seems like it must have lots of tunnels in the live rock.

Seems the mystery worm is adult, because I briefly saw one that was about two inches long creeping out of an abandoned shell. The mandarin also saw it. He looked at it with one eye for a few seconds then gulped it down. He promptly spit out some type of slime, and looked very proud of himself. If the worms are good enough for him, they're good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom