cross dressing fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nedge85

Aquarium Advice Activist
Iv had my tank set up since Christmas Eve with 2 goldfish and 2 blackmoors, we've had our ups and downs. But my issue is one of the BMs, about a month ago he started getting lighter and turning silver. Now though he's turning gold. Lovely colour, but strange

nedge85 said:
Iv had my tank set up since Christmas Eve with 2 goldfish and 2 blackmoors, we've had our ups and downs. But my issue is one of the BMs, about a month ago he started getting lighter and turning silver. Now though he's turning gold. Lovely colour, but strange

That is very strange.... maybe you can claim the new species called "orange moor"... you should make sure he's not sick, because that may be causing it, but I doubt it. Can you post some pictures?

Will do, he defo not sick. Hes the smallest but most active in the tank

Blackmoors will lose some of their black coloration and take on a gold color on their belly, specially when the water gets too warm.

You've had your fish for almost a year and you never even looked them up? :lol:

NoMoreGoldFish said:
Blackmoors will lose some of their black coloration and take on a gold color on their belly, specially when the water gets too warm.

Its not a matter of looking them up, i kept Bm for years when i was younger and nothing, as stated i have two bought the same time fron the same tank in shop and no change.

maxwellag said:
That is very strange.... maybe you can claim the new species called "orange moor"... you should make sure he's not sick, because that may be causing it, but I doubt it. Can you post some pictures?

Theyre the best i can get (the scimming on glass was my wife with glass cleaner, only noticed it on pics)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111019_150941.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111019_150941.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20111019_151007.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111019_151007.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 86

I have to agree..... it doesn't matter how long you've had the fish, you really should have read up on them by now. It could have been helpful in situations just like this.

I don't even keep goldfish, however, from poking around here and there, I have read on numerous sites that color morphing is not unusual in them.

P.S. Make sure you wife doesn't spray the glass cleaner directly onto the tank walls.

I read on colour change but never of it happening twice to the same fish

They're alright, look pretty normal to me. How much black they lose all depends on the fish.

Off topic, did you use the flash on your camera? You might get a better pic by turning the flash off and upping the ISO or exposure time.

If you use the "idiot" settings like I do, :oops: , just hold the camera closer to the tank and to an angle.

I took em on new fone, so try not to fiddle too much as i messrd up the camera last time.

I only questioned the fish coz the other bm hasnt lost anything and neither has my sister in laws two which are now in full tropic

Fish are individuals, not clones. What happens to one might not happen to another.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom