Crushed coral -vs- Live Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raker333

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have crushed coal in my 29g tank, am i Restricting the type of fish i can put in it with the coral? I know some fish burrow in the substrate which is kind of hard in CCoral.

Can I add sand also or is it one or the other?

I`ve heard of people that had one and then added the other later but I am a Sand man all the way. Creates less problems.

Yes I also use sand and prefer it. Be careful if you plan to add sand to your tank. If you are just going to dump it into your tank and cover the cc you will sufficate the bacteria that is on your substrate. while adding the sand be sure to stir with your finger to mix it up the last thing you want is to kill the good bacteria that you have

CC is fine but requires more maintenance (cleaning) to prevent it from becoming a nitrate factory (bad for corals).

You need to replace the CC. Dumping sand on top, the cc will work to the surface over time as the finer grains find their way to the bottom. That would negate the move to sand.

Don't replace more than ½ of the CC at a time. If you can make divider (¼" or less) plexiglass or acrylic works well) it will be easier.

Make sure you cure the sand first so it settles to the bottom quickly and doesn't create too much of a sand storm. You can put the cured sand into a large baggie and open the baggie near the bottom of the tank and pour the sand out slowly. Make sure all the pumps are off while you do this. A piece of large diameter pvc pipe also works. Fill from the top and lift slowly while moving. The tank will cloud for a few hours till the smaller particles settle. You can use a turkey baster to blow the fine stuff off any coral/rock that it settles on.

Do a search and you'll find a few threads from folks who have done it successfully.

How do you cure sand?
Sorry for the noob question?
I have heard of people using playsand from HD.
Does it work good?

You don't have to cure sand and certain play sand works well. I have south down play sand in my 55 fowlr and both fuges and it has worked well, no issues.

I'm not sure the HD in Tx sells the caribbean play sand (Southdown/Yardright/OldCastle) which is arragonite based. That would be best if you can find it. Otherwise any playsand for a kids sandbox will be safe to use.

You cure sand the same way you cure rock. See the Curing Live Rock article. Uncured sand will create a sand storm in your tank. Not bad for a new tank but not good for an established tank.

If all you have is the hermits and crab you should be ok.

LFS has some arragonite sand but they want an arm and a leg for it!!
Has anyone messed with a mix? Half and half?
Was thinking coral for the LR base material and Sand for the open areas

Could use some formed acrylic/Plexi glass to keep them both apart

Sounds like a bunch of trouble and all the CC would be around rocks in low flow areas where it could gather debris. If you mix them the CC will come to the top. Personally I would do all or nothing.

okies then Switching to sand it is....
Especially if I want any future clowns to host on any inverts i might get

Thanks for all the input!!

Back
Top Bottom