Crypt Moving and Anacharis Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanna move my crypt from where I naively planted it when I first got it. I put it in the corner of the tank, and since plants actually grow (who would've thought that? Lol), it seems like half the leaves are smashed against the glass. I just wanna move it like maybe to the center (?) of the tank so that it can grow and look prettier not smashed. I read that they do not take well to moving, and was trying to come up with ways to minimize the transplant shock, but a friend of mine tells me she has moved her crypt several times with no problems. What is the consensus on this?

My DG has a thing for my anacharis in the back of my tank. He pulls it up and bites the stem off all the time. A plant that used to reach all the way across the tank now is about four inches tall at the most. Most of the stems left are mostly bare of leaves. This is the terror my DG is compelled to reign down on this poor plant. He's tried to replant what he either bites off or pulls up, but has yet to succeed. Is there anything I can do to help revive this poor plant? I fertilize/feed every Saturday. Lighting is fine.

The best person I would ask this is Rivercats...pm her she will gladly tell you what she knows and what her experiences have been.....

I think you would only have major issues if you move the crypt to a whole different tank with different water chemistry. I have moved mine a few times in the same tank and they never melted. And yes root tabs will definitely help the crypts!

Great! Seems like moving within the tank is a lot less deadly than google told me when I got it. Every site said not to move it, the whole thing will melt, essentially. Looks like the experience with them says otherwise. I'll move it to the middle of the tank and figure out what to do with the DG's mancave, hopefully without getting bit. He's in that so much, I swear he has a mini fridge stocked with Bud Light and a tv tuned to the football games.

Any ideas to help my anacharis come back to looking like an anacharis? It looks kinda sad now.

Great! Seems like moving within the tank is a lot less deadly than google told me when I got it. Every site said not to move it, the whole thing will melt, essentially. Looks like the experience with them says otherwise. I'll move it to the middle of the tank and figure out what to do with the DG's mancave, hopefully without getting bit. He's in that so much, I swear he has a mini fridge stocked with Bud Light and a tv tuned to the football games.

Any ideas to help my anacharis come back to looking like an anacharis? It looks kinda sad now.

Can I ask what lighting you use for this tank?

Also, it's awesome that you're in Toledo! UT or not? I just graduated from UT :)

Can I ask what lighting you use for this tank?

Also, it's awesome that you're in Toledo! UT or not? I just graduated from UT :)

Wow. Small world. I'm a Sophomore at UT.

I use one of those energy saving coiled up bulbs in a desk lamp. I asked about the lighting here and was on the forum on my phone as I shopped for the bulb. It has been working perfectly fine. Never had a problem since I bought it. Except Torch destroying the anacharis and biting me when I fix it. He's mean.

Im not sure about the anacharis I have some and it literally grows in the DARK! No joke I actually put some in a bucket in almost complete dark and it grew like mad! lol maybe put it somewhere else to let it grow out a bit before putting it back in so the fish doesnt keep tearing it up?

Get two or three more bunches of anacharis. Surely one DG can't mow down all of it. And if he's seeing a forest of anacharis, maybe he might just decide it's cool to settle down in it and chill.

Depends on the type of crypt. All my C. walkeri 'lutea' melted when I changed my substrate. Most of my Wendts managed ok.

Get two or three more bunches of anacharis. Surely one DG can't mow down all of it. And if he's seeing a forest of anacharis, maybe he might just decide it's cool to settle down in it and chill.

Lol. My DG chill? Never. We're talking about a fish that bites my hand or arm almost every time I mess with the tank. I can try it, but if he wants it short, it will be short. He's quite entertaining, but also quite irritating sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom