Cryptocoryne info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a cryptocoryne plant for my tank, which was the secondly most common recommendation I got. The most common was anubias, and the store's anubias looked pretty sad. I was on the Internet looking up some info on them, since I was having a little confusion and had no idea what they needed. The Internet is giving me mixed answers. High light, low light, need fertilized, don't need fertilized, easy to keep, nearly impossible to keep, it goes on. Can I ask for a little clarification?

I just got a cryptocoryne plant for my tank, which was the secondly most common recommendation I got. The most common was anubias, and the store's anubias looked pretty sad. I was on the Internet looking up some info on them, since I was having a little confusion and had no idea what they needed. The Internet is giving me mixed answers. High light, low light, need fertilized, don't need fertilized, easy to keep, nearly impossible to keep, it goes on. Can I ask for a little clarification?

Crypts are very easy to care for. No need for CO2 or ferts (although all plants will thrive when added properly).

One item you will need to be wary of is what we call the "Crypt Melt." Usually when the Crypt is replanted, moved, or water parameters change drastically, the plant will lose some leaves and they appear to be melting. No need to fret as these hardy plants will bounce back in due time.

Do I need anything for the substrate like root tabs or something? Or just leave them alone? Since I just put it in and yesterday added another new one, should I add the liquid plant stuff, or just wait till Tuesday when I normally do?

Adding a root tab would be good since they do take alot of nutrients from their roots. I don't see why you can't wait to do your ferts on your normal day.

Adding a root tab would be good since they do take alot of nutrients from their roots. I don't see why you can't wait to do your ferts on your normal day.

I was just asking since they're new if I should do that for them. I'll wait. I can get a hold of root tabs. Do they have to be directly under the plant, or just stick them in the sand right next to it?

If you have sand like i do then I'd try to get the tab as close as possible to the roots. Imo sand is more dense than gravel and the root system of your plants could better ulilize the nutrients if the tablet is in contact with them.

Ok. Rivercats and Cichlid Kid. This happens a lot, and I usually go on majority. Contact or no contact? It's 50/50, so not really easy to pick which is better, or more tried. Which should I do?

I use seachems "flourish tabs" and never had an issue with root burn or plants dying. I've always pushed the tabs right underneath the roots of my swords and crypts. Maybe other more sensitive plants there would be an issue? I don't know. Rivercats is alot more knowledgable than i am though so i may be steering you on a collision course for failure.
Wish i knew more, I'm just stating what's worked for me...

I know. I wish i could give you a definitive answer but I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, still learning about planted setups. Do you have any pics of your new crypts yet?
Here's some of mine.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Here's one I just took with my iPhone once I read your message. It's an ant compared to yours. The Cory cat up against it is Lestat, the baby, and the bigger one on a rock is Dracula.

Attachments

• image-2500017910.jpg
    image-2500017910.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 59
Awww sweet!
Looks like a really healthy plant. Good choice, how long have you had it in your aquarium? You must be doin something right cuz it doesn't look like it's gonna melt or lose any leaves. Plenty of new growth coming in to it looks like.
Thanx for sharing ;)

Awww sweet!
Looks like a really healthy plant. Good choice, how long have you had it in your aquarium? You must be doin something right cuz it doesn't look like it's gonna melt or lose any leaves. Plenty of new growth coming in to it looks like.
Thanx for sharing ;)

It's brand new? Just added today? How do you know it won't melt on me?

I'm trying to do it right. It just gets hard when a) you get 6 different answers to one question; b) the minute you do something 5 people say never do that.

Oh. I thought you'd had it for awhile. In that case time will tell. If some leaves melt new growth will replace it eventually. Do you dose liquid co2? Flourish or co2 boost?
I didn't even experience any melt with my crypts even tho i use API co2 boost.

Oh. I thought you'd had it for awhile. In that case time will tell. If some leaves melt new growth will replace it eventually. Do you dose liquid co2? Flourish or co2 boost?
I didn't even experience any melt with my crypts even tho i use API co2 boost.

I use API leaf zone aquarium plant food. All my plants are liking it, even my banana plant that frequently get rolled all over by playful snails.

Alot of times the root tabs you buy will have instructions on where they need to be placed. I've always had good results when putting them right by the root but never quite touching and as you know I have good plant growth. So my best advice is do what you feel comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom