CUC recommendations please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
My very first saltwater tank is nearing the completion of it's"cycle". I could use some recommendations of a clean up crew (type of animal and quantity). I am currently not considering any corals but it is not out of the question later on down the road.
A few details about the tank:
Bowfront
18" high
24" long
15" wide (12" at the sides)
21.5 gallons of water
Approximately 32 pounds of rock
20 pounds of sand (about one inch thick give or take)

blert said:
My very first saltwater tank is nearing the completion of it's"cycle". I could use some recommendations of a clean up crew (type of animal and quantity). I am currently not considering any corals but it is not out of the question later on down the road.
A few details about the tank:
Bowfront
18" high
24" long
15" wide (12" at the sides)
21.5 gallons of water
Approximately 32 pounds of rock
20 pounds of sand (about one inch thick give or take)

Nassarius snails they keep sand stirred and eat any leftover food i have 25 in my 55g also a serpent star

I would go with a nassarius snail for every 1-2 gallons, a couple margaritas snails, a couple astrea snails, 5 blue hermits, 2-3 red hermits, 1 white hermit, an emerald or ruby crab, along with atleast one cleaner shrimp and if you feel your scaping is stable 1-2 turbo snails (they eat like machines but terrible about knocking things over)... This is just how I would do it, really you don't even need a CUC so its more personal preference and correct husbandry.

Edit* I think I should also tell you I enjoy CUCs as much as my fish so you may not want so many :)

Mrc8858 said:
I would go with a nassarius snail for every 1-2 gallons, a couple margaritas snails, a couple astrea snails, 5 blue hermits, 2-3 red hermits, 1 white hermit, an emerald or ruby crab, along with atleast one cleaner shrimp and if you feel your scaping is stable 1-2 turbo snails (they eat like machines but terrible about knocking things over)... This is just how I would do it, really you don't even need a CUC so its more personal preference and correct husbandry.

Edit* I think I should also tell you I enjoy CUCs as much as my fish so you may not want so many :)

Thank you for the detailed recommendation.
I understand that I don't have to have a CUC but I too appreciate the bit of diversity and life they bring to the tank. That said, I really don't dig snails, they are just funky. This is my little boy's tank though and he wants some snails. Do you think it would be ok if I cut back on the snails and added another crab (like a Porcelain Crab or two)?

Ya you could do that but snails do an amazing job on the rocks and the nassarius snails I wouldn't cut back on. Them and the white hermit will keep your sand looking brand new.

I recommend scarlet hermit crab and thin stripe hermit crab. Thin stripe is like a lawn mower, enjoys hair algae a lot. Thin stripe hermit also has big personality. my son calls him a "sheriff". He walks around the tank and turns upside down other crabs. I spend more time watching cuc than my fish.
I do not recommend Nerite snails. They are escape artists. I had 12 of them and in first few weeks each one of them escaped from a tank. Most of the time I would find them in time for them to survive. I lost two so far.

Back
Top Bottom