Cucumber and zucchini dissolving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My cucumber and my zucchini, which i blanched, all seem to just dissolve and rot away. Im worried about this, and i dont know if thats whats sposed to happen. Can anyone tell me if its common or if i shouldnt use it? should i have thicker slices? or use another type of veggies? i love using celery, but is there anything else?

mr.waffles1842 said:
My cucumber and my zucchini, which i blanched, all seem to just dissolve and rot away. Im worried about this, and i dont know if thats whats sposed to happen. Can anyone tell me if its common or if i shouldnt use it? should i have thicker slices? or use another type of veggies? i love using celery, but is there anything else?

How did u know it is rotting away? It could just be ur fish eating it. How long did u put them in Ur tank for? Because after a day or so, they tend to carry that dissolving appearance, so its normal. Don't leave it in there for more than 48hours. My ottos finish their zucchini within a day!

You might also be boiling it for a bit too long. "Blanching" means that you start the water and get it boiling before you do anything with the zucchini - and then once the water is boiling you throw the sections into the water for only about 2-3 minutes or until they start to get a little soft.

Then, I take them out - cool them in a cold water bath - and then usually feed one slice and immediately freeze the rest for later.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Huh.... Well it gets all clear, and starts to break up. i took it out, but it was in since yesterday....

That's sounds normal to me. How long do u blanch it for? I normally just microwave my zucchinis for 30sec! And it's all good!

Vircomore said:
You might also be boiling it for a bit too long. "Blanching" means that you start the water and get it boiling before you do anything with the zucchini - and then once the water is boiling you throw the sections into the water for only about 2-3 minutes or until they start to get a little soft.

Then, I take them out - cool them in a cold water bath - and then usually feed one slice and immediately freeze the rest for later.

Leaving it for 2-3 minutes in boiling water is no longer blanching. Well depending on the thickness of the zucchinis but generally half a min is more than enough.

Edit: sorry didn't read the whole post. U are blanching the whole zucchinis I believe? Haha my bad

Ahh yes. I usually make my zucchini slices about 1/3in thick because the veggie clip that I have really can't hold on to anything thinner, and it gives more surface for them to share since they can eat from the middle or around the edges. :)

(my 3 Otos)

mr.waffles1842 said:
carrots? beans? anything?

Someone on here said celery. Blanched of course. I haven't tried it yet myself though

+1 on blanching for only 30 seconds. I put mine in raw...if they can rasp wood they can eat a raw cucumber and zucchini. If you don't like that idea try carrots-they are harder than the others to begin with and won't get so soft when you blanch them.

mr.waffles1842 said:
that was me. Its like a giant stick of algae for them all.

Hahah. Your advice came full circle. I am going to.give it a try though.

Back
Top Bottom