curious about GloFish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_love

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 GloFish Danio, 2 pink and 1 blue. I am curious if males are smaller and skinner than females or if they are supposed to look the same? Because one of my pinks and my blue are both growing larger and have rounded bellies while my second pink one is staying smaller and has a very straight underside. It acts normal, eating and schooling with it's buddies, but I'm concerned about it's size.

Are there runts in fish like in dogs? It just isn't seeming to grow...

I will try to snap a pic of it but they are just such fast little things!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130207_130906.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130207_130906.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 94
Yep! :) If you want to save the eggs/fry, put her in a breeding net before she lays them if you know when she first got the eggs.

The big pink one has been fat since I'd have to say December. The blue one plumed up last month. How could I tell if they have eggs inside or are just fat? I always think all of my fish are pregnant but no one ever has babies or lays eggs and they all just stay fat. I kind of think they are just little piggies ha ha they are always pecking at the plants and decorations. So fun to watch them.

Yep! :) If you want to save the eggs/fry, put her in a breeding net before she lays them if you know when she first got the eggs.

If you put the female in a net before she lays eggs and without a male how would the eggs be fertilized?

I don't think they are filled with eggs, I think they are just little piggies. I have mollies that look pregnant also but they have just stayed fat since I got them. Also, my snails tripled in size within a week of bringing them home. I'm beginning to just think there is some sort of fish steroid in my tank ha ha ha the little pink danio is the only fish to not seem to benefit from whatever it is the others are getting.

I too have fat fish. Mollies to be exact and really huge ghost shrimp. LOL I bought two mollies 4 months ago that where small, about 1 inch. They started ballooning up a few weeks after I got them. I thought "Oh great pregnant fish" I really didn't want pregnant fish. that is why I bought girls. They have never had babies so I know they are just fat. I cut back on the three times a day feeding and just feed once a day. Still fat but not as much like boxes. :lol:
The ghost shrimp are a good one inch long. One of them is catching up to the biggest Molly and is a character to watch. He swims around a lot and will attach the front of the tank when the cat sits by it. Very funny. The others are just chill. I think fish just respond to really good tank conditions. I am always checking my tank and worrying about them.

Ha ha yeah we only feed our tank once a day but they are always finding things to pick at. Do your fish bother your shrimp at all? I think they are so neat but I was afraid they would just become a snack so we ended up with African dwarf frogs instead ha ha such cute little things.

Also, about the breeding. I read online that because they are trademarked by the company that engineered them that it is illegal to breed them. Is this true? Or would that only apply to fish stores who sell the fish? Because I mean how can you just tell Mother Nature to stop for some fake law man made up, right?

Okay great! I would love to get some fry out of them they're so adorable but expensive for their size...

No, the shrimp and fish leave each other alone. Sometimes they bump into each other while trying to gobble all the food but they just pretty much ignore each other. I have heard of ghost shrimp killing small fish. Someone posted about their ghost shrimp killing several of their fish. Mine have never tried to harm the Mollies but I don't have any small fish yet.

Back
Top Bottom