Curled leaves on my plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikedml

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I am having an issue with my plants. The new leaves are curling up. There seems to be little yellow spots on the older leaves as well. Could this be a calcium deficiency? I didn't think so because of our hard water.

Attachments

• 15146700613941875232970.jpg
    15146700613941875232970.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 1514670085948314527588.jpg
    1514670085948314527588.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 78
Following to learn. I think it is calcium and something else is limiting its uptake.

It could also be boron or co2. I’m far enough in the plant world to have an idea. Not far enough to diagnose and correct consistently

What kind of fertilizer routine are you using (type, dosage frequency and amount) and what kind of lighting is used? Size of tank and use of CO2 would be helpful.

25 gallon tank, fluval LED grow light, flourish comprehensive( 2.5 ml twice a week, 20-30 percent water change a week, 2.5 ml of excel a day. The excel I am using just until my co2 bottle shows up. I sent it to get filled.

That’s a nice nutrient deficiency chart.
When I used Flourish Comprehensive I also dosed API Leaf Zone. That provided both macro and micro nutrients. In 2014 I switched to dry ferts (GLA PPS-Pro system) because it is a proven product and it is economical.
For my snails I’ve occasionally add Microbe-Lift Montmorillonite Calcium clay to help prevent shell erosion. Cuttlebone is another source of calcium. I believe there are calcium test kits out there but I’ve never used them.
It appears that there is plenty of light present because of the red hues in the newest growth.

Thank you so much for the info. I have been reading up on dry ferts and I think that is the way I will go as well. Do you buy yours on Amazon?
I will dry adding some calcium as well.

My light is dimmable, should I crank it up a bit or leave it where it is? If the red hues are there is that lots or should I offer more just cause I can? Would there be any harm in turning the light up?

I would not turn up lights until you figure out the other. Prime recipe for algae

Co2, nutrients, and light form the triangle. Too much light drives deficiency

How much of the clay do you put in? I have bentonite which I believe is the same or at least similar.

Thank you so much for the info. I have been reading up on dry ferts and I think that is the way I will go as well. Do you buy yours on Amazon?
I will dry adding some calcium as well.

My light is dimmable, should I crank it up a bit or leave it where it is? If the red hues are there is that lots or should I offer more just cause I can? Would there be any harm in turning the light up?

I get my fertilizer here: Estimative Index | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

I also got mine from GLA. I use PPS-Pro.
I am inconsistent with the clay dosage; every month I add about a quarter teaspoon.
As for lighting, it’s better to run it a little dimmer than brighter if ferts and carbon are the limiting factors.

Back
Top Bottom