Cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Number1cookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have an out break of Cyanobacteria in my dang tank :(. It my 37 gallon tank that I just finished cycling again. Was heading to get fish today but I guess I will hold off until I get rid of this crap. What can I get to get rid of it fast and easy? There are a few plants in it but nothing else

Try Maracyn

I had a cyno outbreak in 3 of my tanks that I couldn't manage to get rid of. I finally used Maracyn (erythromycin) and it cleared it up in just a few days and it hasn't recurred.

I also addressed what caused the outbreak (new lights, over feeding) but that wasn't enough to eradicate it.

If you try Maracyn, watch for an ammonia spike then nitrite spike due to the dead cyno.

Guess I will run out and pick up some Maracyn to get rid of this. Then just watch my water tests to make sure I don't have any issues before I get fish in there. Any tips on using it or just dose per instructions?

I dosed it per instructions. I think the instruction say to use for 5 days, but the cyano had disappeared by day 3. I still dosed for the period of time instructed on the box (I think it was 5 days, but perhaps was 7)

Pulled as much of the crap out as I could, still some in there. Just dosed the meds now we cross fingers and wait....

Attachments

• image-1525720529.jpg
    image-1525720529.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 80
Keep a close eye out for the spikes or you will have dead fish - I've seen a whole tank wiped out by a spike caused by this treatment, massive ammonia spike. Touch wood I never get it. The fact you cleared a lot of it before dosing should help, just test daily.

Luckily I guess I was just on my way to get fish so I don't have any yet :(. I will wait until li get rid of this first now before I get my fish. will my bb be ok until the 5 day course or should I still keep adding ammonia?

It's going to be hard to judge the amount of ammonia to add as some ammonia will be given off during the treatment, you could probably continue on with a smaller dose just to preserve the bb though I think it will be fine.

I agree you should be ok with not adding ammonia. Since you don't have fish producing ammonia, your existing bacteria will hopefully be able to easily convert any ammonia caused by the dead cyano.

I can't recall the exact time frame, but I'm pretty sure my ammonia spike occurred after I was finished dosing the tank, and not during the treatment period. Keep monitoring frequently for a bit after you are done dosing, especially if you plan to add fish right away.

Well, finished the meds. Looks like its all gone. Now trying to get all the funky crap out of my tank lol. Did about a 75% water change and got most of it out yesterday.

Well I think this #### is back :(. It's the same tank, months later. Just did my water change and noticed it on the sand. (Bangs head)....

This time I have my two angels and three nerites in the tank. I am to the point of breaking the whole dang tank down and starting over. New sand and everything.

May move my angels to one of the other tanks. I have tetras in the 50 gallon they may be ok with. I would not dare put them with my barbs or the Oscar tank lol

My ammonia is a little high after doing the water change and trying to pull some of the crap out, not sure if its from that or what and the water is cloudy. Heading in to check ammonia again and maybe do another water change if the ammonia is still up.

So, tear the tank down or just try another 5 day treatment?

Back
Top Bottom