cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt1245

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so my tank has been in its diatom bloom for around three days now and it has covered everything i would post a pic but my camera is dead but does anyone know about how long a diatom bloom will last?

and also my tank has been setup for 12 days i tested my water today and the ammonia is 0, ph is 8.2, nitrate is 0, and nitrite is 0.25 could i put like 3 green chromis in

Matt

My tank cycled pretty quickly too (I used bio spira). I think you could add some chromis in there. I just went through the diatoms thing also...kinka annoying and cool at the same time. They should start dying off soon and then youll start seeing other colors appearing on your rocks...etc. I have a 75 gal, and do a 20 gal water change every week. I scrubbed the tank walls with an algae brush, dropped in 6 red leg hermits, 6 austria snails, two mexican turbos and a diamond goby. All is good now. The goby will keep your sand clean and is really cool/rowdy fish...not aggressive towards others. I got all the snails and the goby for about $20. Love watching the hermits and goby...

Also, my Chromis did fight with each other...started with 5 now have 2. They did not mess with any of the other fish thought. I've asked and was told that's pretty common with chormis...just wanted to give you a heads up in case that's true.

I wouldn't add any fish until the nitrItes are 0, otherwise you could start another mini-cycle.
The diatoms will burn themselves out. You'll go to bed one night and the next day they will be gone.

also should i do a water change before i go to get the fish?

Not it's my turn to piggyback on Mike. I agree, PWC after ammonia and nitrItes hit 0.

Back
Top Bottom