Cycling a 75g from a 40g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollyH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 40g well established community tank. I'm going to upgrade to a 75 or 90g (I'm unsure if I want the height of a 90g yet). If I use the canister filter I'm using in my 40 (XP3) in addition to the new filter, the same decorations and the majority of the water from my 40g to fill the bigger tank how will that affect the cycling? The only thing new will be 30g of conditioned water and the substrate. Even if I used the majority of the water from the 40g, let it cycle for a few weeks and then add additional conditioned water so it doesn't shock the bacteria might be better so there's not more new water than old established water. Thoughts?

Either way you will only have enough BB for the stocking of the 40g. After that you will just have to add fish slowly. I seeded my 60g with 30g media. Its slow but you do what you have too. I used all new media and a bit of old tank water(only about 10g) took some of the substrate in a mesh bag and put it on top of the substrate.

On my 30g i replaced the filter about a month before getting the 60. Knowing i was going to get the tank i kept it in the 30g filter with a new one to keep bb alive. I then but the filter pad in half(one of the stock ones with carbon) emptied the carbon and put one piece on each side of the filter (2 cartridge filter) about 2 weeks in now and im fully cycled.

You can cycle the tank quickly using the filter from the 40g. The filter, aqua objects also help spe'ed the process. The water is the least effective source of bacteria, although using the aged water will help to keep thing stable.

If you're willing to wait a week or two, just buy two large airdriven sponge filters and place them in the 40g. After week two they should give you a massive advantage when moved. I'd wait till week two and give one a good squeeze in the big tank. That will spread a few bb through the substrate surface.

I always keep 2-3 extra sponge filters running in my fishroom. It makes cycling tanks easier and faster. It is also a life saver if you have a disaster and have to move stuff fast.

You can cycle the tank quickly using the filter from the 40g. The filter, aqua objects also help spe'ed the process. The water is the least effective source of bacteria, although using the aged water will help to keep thing stable.

If you're willing to wait a week or two, just buy two large airdriven sponge filters and place them in the 40g. After week two they should give you a massive advantage when moved. I'd wait till week two and give one a good squeeze in the big tank. That will spread a few bb through the substrate surface.

I always keep 2-3 extra sponge filters running in my fishroom. It makes cycling tanks easier and faster. It is also a life saver if you have a disaster and have to move stuff fast.
I honestly wouldnt even bother with the sponge filters. Its not going to create new bacteria growth as the tank can only support soo much bacteria at any given time. As long as youre not adding any new fish for a few weeks its highly unlikely that you will see a mini cycle just by using the old filter and decor.

The sponge filter idea is amazing if youre setting up a new tank, but if youre just moving everything theres really not much benefit.

On another note, go with the 75g. I have a 90g and at 6ft tall i have to go armpit deep on my 90 to touch the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom