Cycling currently, need a bit of advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N757QQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

So I purchased an aquarium, 55g, which was an active aquarium minutes before my arrival. I got it home and cleaned the sand & holey rock that it came with. Long story short, I got water in the tank and tried the filter that cane with it, which was out of the existing tank. It worked sporadically, and I ultimately replaced it with a new filter.

To that end I tested my water with an API master test kit, and all value were 0 except a trace of nitrates. I added ammonia from ace, like most on here have, and overdosed slightly. I tested 6-8ppm ammonia, and 30ppm nitrates, 0 nitrites, and 7.8 PH.

2 days later I tested again with 6ppm ammonia, 2ppm nitrites, and 30ppm nitrates. 7.4PH. 80temp

I did a 50-60% water change and tested again later. I got 2ppm ammonia, .25ppm nitrites, and 30ppm nitrates.

2 days later I tested, having added nothing but 1 holey rock I got from the LFS, and got 2ppm ammonia again, 5+ nitrites, 60 nitrates, and a steady temp of 79.2.

I am lost. I see that it is starting to cycle, but my nitrates are way above 'safe' for my potential occupants. I read that 40ppm and under is ideal for fresh water.

Should I do another 50-75% water change, and then test everything again, adding ammonia as needed to keep the cycle moving?

Or should I try to not add anymore, and let the nitrites dissipate, get nitrates high, then change water to get the nitrates down to an acceptable level?

I only have a single anubias nana in the tank, no fish. The livhts stay off, the temp stays consistent since the last water change, and nothing else is entering the tank.

Thanks for any help.

N

Don't change out any water if its fishless. Let your ammo drop then your nitrites. Then combat the nitrates with WCs until they are at exceptable levels. Then you can either begin stocking or (method I recommend) redose ammo to 4ppm and see if you test 0s on ammo and trites in 24 hours to ensure that you are cycled

Thank you Mrc8858. I'll do just that, ad report back as needed. I am hoping to have my first few inhabitants in by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, so hopefully that will work out.

Thanks,

N

I am not certain, but I think I am looking at some of the more docile cichlids. That may change as I do more research. I have a huge list of fish that my girlfriend likes from a visit to the LFS. It is about 50% cichlid, and 50% other.

I am reading now on compatibility, and such. I have a spread sheet open trying to get a general idea on what I think from reading, then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom