Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaBeauty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am currently cycling (fishless) 3 tanks (2 6.6 gal, 1 4 gal) the 6.6 have HOB filters with carbon cartridges, the 4 gal is running an internal filter with a sponge filter, all three have seeded gravel from an established tank and were started with in 12 hrs of each other. One of the 6 gal looks to be farther along. It's still processing ammonia slower but is also processing quite a bit of nitrite into nitrates. The other 6 gal is getting a small nitrite spike but not much and the 4 gal has seen no nitrite spike at all. I'm just wondering why the smaller tank wouldn't cycle faster? Could it be because of the different type of filter? I would ideally like to speed the 4 gal tank up but I can't currently add anymore seeded media to it so I'm waiting. Any ideas as to why one f the 6 gals seems to be cycling faster than the others?

It could very well be related to the type of filter. It will eventually cycle. No 2 cycles seem to take the same amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom