Cycling questions - stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMOS

Aquarium Advice Regular
Howdy All,

I'm doing the accelerated fishless cycling method using pure ammonia additive and elevated temperature (84F).

The cycling has started, moved into elevated Nitrites and Nitrates but it seems like I may have reached a stall - ?

For the last 3 days readings have been:
Ammonia .1 PPM
Nitrite 4 PPM
Nitrates 5PPM (peaked at 10 PPM 3 days ago)

Is this normal to see a "stall" like this where there is little to no chemical movement?

Thanks,
CMOS

The nitrite-consuming bacteria (nitrospira) take a little longer to multiply than the ammonia-consuming bacteria, so what you're seeing is normal, although the numbers are different for everyone. It'll start moving along shortly.

Bring the temp down to 80° so there's more oxygen for the bacteria. Ammonia (not sure about nitrite) is more toxic as the water gets warmer, especially when coupled with a pH higher than 7.0.

David

Your temp is actually fine. Are you adding ammonia daily? Does it go down to that level after 24 hours? What's your PH? How long have nitrites been high? PH drops can happen during cycling but if it drops below the mid-6's it can stall things. High nitrites can also stall a cycle, so if they've been high for a week or more you can try a full water change to try to get them to a readable level on the chart. What test kit are you using? With that said, the nitrite phase is the longest, typically taking 3 weeks on average; if ammonia is still being processed and PH is stable then you're probably fine.

Update 3-3-13

LG,

Nitrites are still hanging high at 4-5 PPM. I only have been adding more Ammonia when both the Ammonia and NitrAtes get close to zero. NitrItes are still hanging in there consistently at the 4-5 PPM range for the past 2 weeks.

I have not checked PH lately, but will do so tomorrow (last check was 7.8, which is typical for our well water).

Test kit is API Master Kit.

The added Ammonia is indeed being processed well. I add Ammonia to get a level of 2-3 PPM, and within 24 hours it's back down to the .1-.2 PPM range.

The NitrIte is the one thing that still seems to be just sittin there. Note, the NitrIte is not "off the chart". It's hanging in at the 4-5 PPM level for the past 2 weeks (I've been keeping test records on an Excel spreadsheet and graphing the results).

Just keep going as I am?

CMOS

It does seem stalled. High nitrites for prolonged periods can stall things. Also your nitrates should be rising which indicates that the nitrites are not being processed. I'd do a full water change (or as much as you can)--dont' forget dechlorinator---then wait an hour or so and test nitrites again. If they're still high (over 2) do another water change to get them down. Keep going until you can get them to a readable level on the chart (<2), then redose ammonia and let's see what happens.

It does seem stalled. High nitrites for prolonged periods can stall things. Also your nitrates should be rising which indicates that the nitrites are not being processed. I'd do a full water change (or as much as you can)--dont' forget dechlorinator---then wait an hour or so and test nitrites again. If they're still high (over 2) do another water change to get them down. Keep going until you can get them to a readable level on the chart (<2), then redose ammonia and let's see what happens.

I'll do a WC. PH is 8-8.2.

What causes the cycle to stall???

CMOS

Update after 80% WC

Here's an update after the suggested 80% WC:

Ammonia - 0.2 PPM
Nitrite - 2 PPM
Nitrate - 1 PPM

Should I add some more pure ammonia, or wait?

CMOS

I don't know much about fishless cycling. I can cycle a tank with fish in and no filters just a heater airstone gravel and plants using prime and stress zyme. The only advice I can offer is that the bacteria need food to consume, not just ammonia. Maybe you should try dump some food in there or use stress zyme. Monitoring the bioload is an ongoing process. It dosent suddenly stop when the tank is "cycled" and you add fish. You have to keep a visual idea on how much bacteria is in the gravel and filter at all times versus fishload and feeding regimin.

Matt, my understanding, after reading volumes about cycling, is that at first the cycle must complete, meaning that I should see a point where simultaneously the Ammonia and Nitrite drop to or close to zero - while Nitrates hover at a higher but tolerable level. That is my understanding of an original complete cycle.

I can't get past the higher Nitrites. They have been consistent at about 4 PPM for almost a darn month, while the ammonia I add does indeed get absorbed and returns to a near zero level within 24 hours, so at least that bacteria is "functioning".

CMOS :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom