Cycling the planted aquarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
On Friday I am going back home to pick up my 10 gallon with all the supplies so that I can start cycling. Before I continue: this tank will be a low light set up. When I had a 10g low light a few years ago, I honestly don't remember if I even cycled. I think I just put seed material in from my cichlid tank and didn't worry about anything.

I will be going the fishless cycle route as usual, but I have a question or two:

Does the high level of ammonia/nitrite that you self create when cycling do damage to aquatic plants?....this leads me to my next question.

Does it matter when you actually put plants in the aquarium during the cycle? Like, is it safe to add them at the very start and then let the cycle take its course? I just ask this because I am unsure of the effect that high levels of ammo/rites has on the plants.

Also, could any New York City residents recommend a good LFS either in Queens or Manhatten? I know of Fauna, but they seemed a bit pricey when I bought my dart frog there. I moved here from out east in August so I have no idea where to go around here. Oh, and if you would love to donate some low light plants, I accept :eek:.

Nick

no not really for the most part. plants will help the tank cycle faster more so if you have fast growing plants. if you have other tanks up right now you can move the media over and might be even able to cycle the tank right away.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Unfortunately no tanks up at the moment...I'll have to find seed material from someone else.

Back
Top Bottom