cycling ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishless or "fish in" cycling? With fishless maybe not, or once or twice at most. With "fish in" the answer is absolutely. You have to keep the ammonia below .25 ppm to keep from poisoning the fish. In my signature there is a link to fishless cycling. In the articles section there is one for "fish in" cycling. The choice is up to you.

Edit: Good job on asking questions. Most of the issues I have seen on here is from keeping fish in un- cycled tanks.

Last edited:
With fishless I would say no water changes at all until the cycle is complete. water changes will reduce the ammonia which is what the bacteria eats. Having higher ammonia levels will encourage the bacteria to multiply. As for fish in, absolutely do water changes and ofter. It will really slow it down but you have to reduce the stress and discomfort on the fish. I agree with recommendations most on this site give. Don't do a fish in cycle. Not very nice for the fish. If you haven't already read it read this article. It explains a lot.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

Back
Top Bottom