Cyprichromis fry - now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got 17 tiny cyps out of two holding females today - my little school's first batch. They're all in a box within the same 75g tank as the rest of the school. When my 15g cycles, I'll put them in there.

They're about 3/8" to 1/2" long after three weeks of holding. Will they be fine with just freeze-dried bbs and NLS grow pellets?

Will they or their mothers undergo stress from separation that I need to do something about?

I blended up some spirulina flakes to powder. The fry's mouths are so small I can't tell if they're actually eating it.

Is this a good food for them?

Try hikary first bites. It is a powder and costs about 99 cents and will last until they are on flakes. I use it with all my fry.

@howmanyds Yep! It's really inexpensive.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Congrats on the cyp fry!! I wish mine would spawn. He tries all day long 24/7, but I haven't seen anything yet. I feed fry first bites as well. It lasts a long time. Before that, I would just crush up some flake or pellets with a rock into a powder, like you did, and they did find on that, too. I just added some first bites to my order one day to meet the free shipping limit (you're always a dollar short!). I also just got some Instant Ocean instant baby brine to try. I seen a vid on Youtube of it first, and liked the way it looked. I'm feeding it to my Melanogenys fry right now. I'm mixing first bites with it every other feeding throughout the day. I raised my Ochrogenys on the 1st bites and they are doing great. Good luck with them! :)

Nice & congrats. I crushed NLS pellet and fed them that before that,pure spirulina with crushed pellet. The last month the juvi NLS. Today I took them out of their tank and in the 130g. They are about 1in +
6pvx.jpg

w38p.jpg

Wow. I don't think my cyps will grow that fast, but this is my first time so I don't know!

They seem to be happy with the crushed spirulina flake. But I'm going to start First Bites as soon as I can get to the fish store.

Would there be anything wrong with feeding them crushed up freeze-dried BBS? Is that too much protein?

No, the protein is good till they are about one inch them give them juvi NLS.

Back
Top Bottom