Dalmatian Molly showing aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TDiToto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I just recently completed the cycle on my 45 gallon tank. I went yesterday to petsmart and got some fish. I got 2 Dalmatian Mollies, 2 Mickey Mouse Platies, 2 Marigold Platies, 2 Twinbar Platies, 1 Panda Platy, and 1 Peppered Cory Catfish. They are doing really well and my tanks parameters are great. The only thing that I notice once in a while is that one of the Dalmatian Mollies likes to swim really fast at the other one and toward the Platies. I can't tell if he is nipping them. I am wondering if he is harassing them or what he is doing. Any comments would help. I am somewhat new to keeping fish by myself, I had fish as a kid but didn't know the right way to do things. I have learned lots from this site and found everyone very helpful. Just want to do everything right. Thanks for helping.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you happen to know the genders of the Mollys and Platys? It may be a male trying to mate with a female or show dominance over another male. A three females for every male is the minimum ratio recommend to keep aggression down. I think Mollys and Platys are similar enough that they can inter-breed, so it'd probably be best to consider them as one large group in this regard.

On an unrelated topic: Corys usually fair better in groups of 5 or more. Something to consider if you have the space for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you know how to tell the difference between the male and female? Thanks for the input. I want to make sure everyone is happy. I plan on getting more Corys, didn't realize it till I got them home

I do know how, but dont think I could describe it to you well enough to be of any use. Its not that hard once you know what to look for. My best advice would be to Google "How to tell the gender of a Molly" and do some reading/ look at some pictures.
Its the same for Mollys and Platys (and Swordtails), so once you learn how you should be able to figure it out for all of them.

Ahhhh I had this same problem. A month later I had many many fry in my tank. Seems to me that Molly mating is quite aggressive towards each other.

I do know how, but dont think I could describe it to you well enough to be of any use. Its not that hard once you know what to look for. My best advice would be to Google "How to tell the gender of a Molly" and do some reading/ look at some pictures.
Its the same for Mollys and Platys (and Swordtails), so once you learn how you should be able to figure it out for all of them.

Thanks Coyne I will Google it today and see what I can figure out. Thanks for your help

Ahhhh I had this same problem. A month later I had many many fry in my tank. Seems to me that Molly mating is quite aggressive towards each other.

Oh my. . What all would I have to have to keep the fry alive if they are mating?

If you really really want to, then you isolate a pregnant female into a separate aquarium and let her give birth there. Then you feed the fry super small foods until they are large enough to eat normal food.

Or, if you're like me, you just let them give birth in the main tank and let nature take its course. It's worth noting that I never had any fry make it to adulthood.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom