Dalmation Molly Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayBel2004

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a pair of dalmation mollies 3 days ago. I checked them out in the store and they seemed fine. When we got home and put them into the tank one was swimming abnormally. He sort of swims straight up or straight down like a torpedo and can't seem to even himself out. Looking at him now I can see that the fins on his belly (anal fin?) are frayed and wispy looking. I don't know what could have happened? I was very careful putting him in the tank and I'm thinking that maybe the other molly in the bag with him may have nipped him. In all other ways he is healthy and happy. He eats like a champ and swims around all day.

Will these fins grow back? Can he live without them? I really want to keep him. My 3 year old loves him and named him "Wild Willy".

A fishes fins will regenerate. Keep up with the pwc add a little aqurium salt and raise the temp of the water a little.

All should be fine

Quite often they will swim straight up and down again when first introduced to the tank. As said all you can do at this point is make sure your water is pristine.

He seems fine and can now even himself out - the only freaky thing is that he sleeps on his side. I saw him in the morning and thought that he had died. Then he got up and acted normally but I find him like that every morning.

Thanks for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom