Dangerous decor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiferjanis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went out to hook up my sink python, and when I came back, one of my balloon mollies had gotten wedged under my air mill water-wheel. I backed it up, and he swam out and doesn't seem worse for the wear (now), but I'm wondering what would have happened if it didn't occur when I was right there? Can they back out of those things? Air bubbles is the only thing offering resistance, so it would seem pretty easy, but I'm a 200+ lb human, not a freakishly fat fish who can't swim well. Just wondering if anybody has had death by decor, or any warnings/advice about such things?

Personally, I avoid decor like this. Not only for this reason but it,IMO, is too tacky for my taste. For me, as natural as possible.

Even with natural landscapes it can happen, I actually lost my first cichlid last week after he got stuck between 2 rocks, and just a FYI. I made some holes intentionally smaller for my smaller cichlids to escape the bigger 1s,

I have mollies and they are always getting into trouble. One got stuck between the heater and tank wall, another time it got stuck between a rock formation and tank wall. They are always getting hurt trying to squeeze into small places trying to get food. I keep rearranging things to try and make it molly safe.LOL

LOL must be a Molly thing...

I just added a couple mollies a few days ago and one of them has already dug a tunnel/cave under this hollow Budda decoration. I've decided that will be the first place to look now if somebody goes missing.

If it's one of those grey ceramic Buddhas from a popular pet superstore, I have one in my 10 gallon. Just be aware of the red torii gate from the "other" superstore, as the paint bubbles and flakes. I was ready to accuse Buddha of clouding up my 10 gallon too, but I took the gate out, changed out all the water, did a good vacuum, and it seems to be clear ever since. Dunno if the decor had any bearing on that, but the torii definitely bubbles and flakes. Many product reviews beyond mine say the same thing.

Doh! Big Creamsicle Lyretail was found (alive) wedged between the glass and the back of an LED strip/bubbler... Freed him, but he looks a bit roughed up... Should I hospital-tank him? He seems ok in spirit (right now) and preening to other fish as usual, but he's pretty bruised/bloodied and scraped up...

Bloody head:
image-3781045844.jpg

Rough scales near dorsal & along side:
image-1010311998.jpg

Still preening, though:
image-1257058994.jpg

His tail got ripped, but his fins seem ok. My main concern is a bad scrape on his right side near dorsal fin, and any bacteria/parasites and whatnot I have to watch out for now...

Well, creamsicle Molly seems to be all better today. Tail still ripped, still some bruising on head, but the roughed up scales seem to be lying flat again, and he acts normal. I'll still keep an eye on him though, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom