Danios in a 3 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherisec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am very new to keeping fish as pets and I, very irresponsibly, hurried into getting an aquarium without doing proper research. I started out with a 1 gallon tank and 7 neon danios and 1 plecostomus (the pet shop assistant said this was fine) but I very quickly learned that this was a huge mistake. 4 of my danios died and that's when I started doing research and found out that danios least a minimum of a 10 gallon tank to live in. I currently live in a tiny apartment in Taiwan and don't have space for a 10 gallon tank. I tried to ask the pet shop owner if I could return the danios but he won't allow me to. I have also read that you should keep at least 5 danios together since they are shoaling fish. Is there any way that I can keep this many fish in a 3 gallon tank and have them live comfortably if I do regular water changes? Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Might be tricky depending on active they are. I’ve tried small fish that seem suitable but they dart off quickly. Too flighty for small tanks.

I’d stick with three for moment. Is tank cycled?

See how they go, let tank establish. If not working, a betta would suit.

I'm not sure if the tank has cycled yet. I have only been able to get a pH and Nitrites test from my aquarium shop but am ordering a pack of 6 in 1 strips online so am waiting for those to arrive. I tested pH and Nitrites on Saturday and the pH was about 6.3 and the nitrites was about 0.5 mg N / L. I did 2 50% water changes and yesterday morning my pH was up to 6.9 and my nitrites were down to >0.1 mg N / L. I've got the same values this morning.

Back
Top Bottom