Daphina culture help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Millerman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know I posted in the right spot? So I'm going to try to start to a small indoor daphnia culture in a couple 5 gallon buckets. I really could use some advice though as this seems kinda confusing still. I'm still not sure what they eat really? I would rather not feed green water, spirulina seems kind of expensive. If I did yeast what kind? I have some expired active yeast would this work? Mainly just some tips from people with experience would be helpful.

New Microfauna Mix Daphnia Monia Rotifers | eBay
This is what I was going to order (it has other thing mixed in but it says no triops or fairy shrimp is that ok still?)

Green water is the best, if you can cultivate it. Infusoria is also good. You can make it by putting dried or rotting vegetable matter in some tank water. You can also it it directly to the daphnia water. They will also consume bacteria. So, the water will go cloudy when there are lots of bacteria but they can clean this. Eventually an infusoria culture will lose it's cloudiness as the infusoria consume the bacteria.While clear, the water will still have a murky appearance. I usually put the vegetable matter right in with them. If you add a piece of cooked carrot or zucchini the water will cloud quickly. As the daphnia multiply they will clear the water.

Back
Top Bottom