Wanted: Daphnia starter culture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cammywammy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If anyone could ship me a portion of their daphnia culture so I could get one going I would much appreciate it :) my zip code is 27614 thanks!!

It Is starting to become the beginning of spring and I will start to cultivate these outside. PM me in about 1-3 months and I will have what you want for free. I have a friend of mine that has some, but he doesn't ship so he gives them to me.

Wow great! I'm glad someone on this forum cultures them! Thanks man

Frost killed starter culture this morning(temperature was 29 degrees). If you can find anyone else that would give you some, that would help you if you need them really fast, but if you can't, wait until I can culture them without them freezing, then I will get them.

Where do you live? Do you have any areas of standing water near you that have no fish in them? It doesn't have to be permanent water, as daphnia will be in places that only have water in the spring. If waterfowl visit these waters they will almost surely have daphnia.
I would add that daphnia tolerate very low temps. My culture, which is on the winter swimming pool cover, was going before the ice was melted. About 90% of the surface was still ice covered, and the daphmia were already in full swing as visible when viewing the open water.

Today I went exploring for daphnia. The neuse river, a large river in NC goes through my neighborhood so I decided that was the best place to start. I followed the river to many streams on a a nature trail and I found a large puddle a couple feet deep with brown algae at the top of it. I took a large test tube and dipped it in and I couldn't believe what I found! Tons and tons of daphnia + Copepods and other microorganisms. Is there anything I should look out for like mosquito larvae? I don't see any worm looking things. Also I plan to culture them in a small fishbowl and feed them green water which I had cultured for 2 months. Thanks for the help!

Mosquito larvae make great treats for fish also. Just be wary of predatory insect larvae like dragonfly larvae.

Back
Top Bottom