dark green algae on sand, beard algae on plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

push350z

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have this dark green algae growth growing on my sand, if I let it go long enough it actually starts to clump my sand together not quite sure what it is. I also have some black beard algae (long black strands) growing from some of my fake plants. What is the dark green stuff and what can I do to get rid of this algae? I only have 4 ghost cats and 3 cories so I could put them in my 10 gal until I get my tank straightened but I would like to avoid it if possible. I've already cleaned it out once and it came back, any other suggestions?

The dark green algae growing on your sand sounds like BGA. This is actually a form of bacteria and not a true plant. A total blackout for 3 days will eliminate it. I do mean mean total. Through a blanket over the tank and don't even feed the fish for that time.

The BBA is much tougher stuff. Once it finds its way into a tank its very difficult to control. I've found that BBA prefers a low pH. The higher the pH the slower the growth. There are a few species which will actually eat BBA. Try putting in a few true SAEs.

ended the blackout tonight and whatever it is is still there and has stringy stuff coming off it like black hair algae but not in dense packs and it's not black.

I think we need to more about your tank push350. Algae proliferates when one or more biological component are out of balance. As light is the engine that drives photosynthesis, it sounds like too much light might be the cause.

Does the tank receive direct sunlight? How long are the lights left on? What is the wattage of your bulbs and how many watts per gallon? What are the nitrates in your tank?

Don't get too discouraged. The problem is solvable.

The light is a 40 watt flourescent... There are is no direct/indirect lighting in my room. The thing I noticed is the algae or whatever it is only grows where there is light from the fluorescent, anywhere there is shade it doesn't grow. I thought I read something about some algae or something that is a result of poor lighting, any truth to this? I did buy the floor model so it's possible the light is quite old and it isn't even putting out the 40 watts it says it is. I may just have to transfer the fish to my backup tank and rip out everything and wash it in bleach, including the sand and then give it all a really good rinse.

Breaking down the tank should be a last resort. Even then the solution may be only temporary as the spores may be present in your tap water. The best thing to do is find the condition that allows this algae to proliferate and adjust accordingly.

If there are no live plants other than algae, and high NO3 levels are present, the algae may thrive. Try increasing your pwcs and give your filter a good cleaning as well. Just remember to rinse the media in tank water. Hopefully this is all it may take.

Back
Top Bottom