Darting then upside down Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whall

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! My betta was fine a couple of days ago, but the algae (blue I think - comes off in sheets, kinda grows up in strings) was getting out of hand, so I cleaned the sides with a well rinsed never used for anything else synthetic spnge and did a 1/5th water change. The next day he started darting around then sinking to the bottom, sometimes on his side, sometimes upside down. I took the water in. It is fine. Ph is a little low. The pet store recommended I use tap with prime, and an indian almond leaf. Done. I filled the 5 gallon tank with a gallon of tap with prime (there was room) and have changed out about 2 cups/ day since. He has a heater (78 degrees) and a filter. It is an established tank. I took these pictures this evening. What should I do?

Hi! My betta was fine a couple of days ago, but the algae (blue I think - comes off in sheets, kinda grows up in strings) was getting out of hand, so I cleaned the sides with a well rinsed never used for anything else synthetic spnge and did a 1/5th water change. The next day he started darting around then sinking to the bottom, sometimes on his side, sometimes upside down. I took the water in. It is fine. Ph is a little low. The pet store recommended I use tap with prime, and an indian almond leaf. Done. I filled the 5 gallon tank with a gallon of tap with prime (there was room) and have changed out about 2 cups/ day since. He has a heater (78 degrees) and a filter. It is an established tank. I took these pictures this evening. What should I do?

Your pictures didn't show since you have so few post. Try using a third party site like imgur.com then posting a link to the image.

Reduce the lighting by half the time to start. Will help in reducing the algae. Even a timer for the time you watch him most. Are there live plants, or is it getting sun light?

Was the water change 100%? If you change the fish's water drastically (a large amount or 100% pwc) after a longer period of not changing it, the difference in the old and new water can be quite stressful on them.

The minerals in the tank water remain in the water if it isn't changed out.

Evaporation still leaves large amounts of the old stuff remaining in the tank water, including total dissolved solids aka TDS, and minerals build up if not removed.

If you top off the water on a regular basis and do not do decent amounts of water removal, you can build up a significant amount of difference between the old water and the new tap treated water.

How is he doing? With the darting around. That generally indicates you might need to make a larger amount of water changing. Happens often with high ammonia, or nitrites or possibly nitrates.

You can try a 25% pwc and then right after do another 25% pwc to get the water changing done gently making the change in water closer to fresh tap (always treated if used from the tap for fish).

Then try the next day with a 30-50% pwc. If he seems to be getting less stressed.

Using a master test kit is ideal. At least save a sample of the water before and take one also after the pwc so you can compare how it is going.

Back
Top Bottom