Dead coral coming back to life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75g FOWLR that used to have live corals. I pulled a piece of old coral as live rock for my 10g QT. I think I have an old brain(?) coral covered in purple Coralline... And since being in the QT it has a spot where it has turned really white (which I've seen Coralline turn white when it died (when I moved this used tank & stock, it died on the sides of the tank) but this isn't typical). The white spot is getting height! Could it be growing new coral OR can a coral come back to life?? This looks like bone, it's not soft/fleshy at all.

Sounds like exposed bone. Once tissue from a coral dies and there is nothing left, there isn't any hope of it coming back. The only exception to this rule would be of course if there was still tissue hiding in there, which sounds unlikely from your description, or if it was a plate coral which have been known to rarely bud off new plate corals after death to save its genetic line...but this also isn't what is being described.

You know what our first question will be....can you post a pic?

Here's some pics. Thing is, I'm not sure how much it'll show as pics aren't 3D. And it's just something I've picked up from observation. I tried to get it from a certain angle to show the growth. I'm just noticing the height due to looking at it all the time.

image-2203268745.jpg

image-1909953096.jpg

Back
Top Bottom