Dead Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reef46

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My larger snails (Turbo, Astrea) are dying. New ones I have put in only last a day to a week. My existing have died as well. The other smaller ones (Cerith) are fine. My hermit crabs, Coral-Banded shrimp, Tang are also doing great. There is food for the snails and my water perameters seem to be good. I am adding Kent LC as instructed by the LFS.
Any Ideas?

"seem" to be good, is not really too helpful when we are trying to figure out what is going wrong. Please post numbers whenever possible. If your snails are dieing that fast, I would suspect it is the acclimation procedure being used or possibly a high nitrate count. Another question is to ask if you have ever used copper based medication in this tank. Snails are very sensitive to copper, but then again, I would think the shrimp would be dead as well.

You are adding liquid calcium, then you need to be testing the alk, ca and ph regularly. How long has this tank been set up?

I just went through that. it turns out my girlfriend decided to spray some flea spray on the carpet and vacuum the daylights out of the floor, which allowed the mist and dust coated with flea spray to enter my 100G reef tank.

Everything but my snail and some of my Montipora Caps were awesome the whole way through even my 4 inch Crocea was still great, but i lost three Turbo snails and 2 Margarita snails and my beautiful Pink Monti-Caps were peeling off and flaking away. i tested ALL of my water parameters and found no abnormal tests.

I was too scared to wait it out, so i IMMEDIATELY did a 25 gallon water change and cleaned out my filter sock and my skimmer would fill up once a day and it was half full by the next morning.

So, you might not ever find whats wrong with your tank, but i suggest doing a water change and see how that does. hope this helps!!

That weas good thinking and good actions. One thing I wanted to run by tou is what is your temp. I was experiencing some snail deaths and come to find out I had the temp too high. I was around 81 and since I lowered it to 76 I`ve had no problem. This is just a suggestion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom