Deadly ICH- hopeless, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SongOfStorms

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently set up a 35 gallon tank that I purchased used on Craigslist. I set everything up as I usually do with used tanks, but I made a DIRE MISTAKE and forgot to wash the gravel that comes with it!!! (I don't like new gravel, used is best because it already has good bacteria in it) Now, I fear that my carelessness has been the cause of almost ALL of my fish coming down with a terrible case of ich. I caught it about a week ago, and immediately did a 25% water change and added some aquarium salt to stall it until I could buy medication (I can't afford a new heater to spike my temperature). I came back after a weekend away and it has gotten so much worse. My male balloon molly is COMPLETELY covered in ich spots, my other two females have tons on their fins. My pictus catfish now have it as well, and they are ALSO suffering from an unidentified fungus disease. Just this morning I found my red-wag platies with the dreaded spots as well. Only my harlequin rasboras have escaped the ich (so far!). I have treated the tank with Rid-Ick, and I also treated with an all-natural anti fungal treatment for the kitties. The thing is, I'm feeling INCREDIBLY hopeless. All my fish look so unhappy and I desperately want them to feel better, but I'm not sure what else I can do that's within my price range :( Is there anything I can be doing to get rid of this horrible ich? It's killing me to see my fish suffer. Also, can they survive?! I would be heartbroken if they died because of this, I really just want them to be okay. Please share your wisdom! :bawl:

Welcome to AA,

I'm sorry this had to be your first post. I'm afraid that without being able to heat the tank to 85-86F or using a medication designed to eradicate ich there is really nothing to stop the parasite from killing it's host.

The only other suggestions to try is to heat the room the tank is in or wrap the tank in heavy blankets to raise the temperature to the desired level.

The other option may be looking for used heater on sites like Craigslist or the local paper.

Last edited:
Welcome to AA,

I'm sorry this had to be your first post. I'm afraid that without being able to heat the tank to 85-86F or using a medication designed to eradicate ich there is really nothing to stop the parasite from killing it's host.

The only other suggestions to try is to heat the room the tank is in or wrap the tank in heavy blankets to raise the temperature to the desired level.

The other option may be looking for used heater on sites like Craigslist or the local paper.

I agree. Salt alone is not enough without being able to raise the temp to speed up ich life cycle.

Also gravel/substrate being a bb source is overrated IMO. Good established filter media is the primary source of a tanks bb. It's the best way to seed a tank.

Back
Top Bottom