Deaths after new additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55g that has been established for over 1 year. I have had all the same inhabitants until recently. Original stock was 8 cories, 2 BN, 2 guppies, 4 ottos, & a pair of Bolivian Rams. Last Saturday I added 12 Rummy Nose Tetra's and as directed by Rivercats I used half dose of Paraguard, within 24 hours 2 died and 1 died the next day (3 rnt died within 48hrs). Well the last one that died, I did not remove it:banghead: nor did I do a 50%PWC that I would normally do when I see a dead kiddo:facepalm:...the next morning I found 1 of my cory cat just sitting at the bottom right next to it. So I decided to take the rnt out and that's when I noticed something was wrong with that cory so I put him in my floating breeder box to watch him closely. Well about 1 hour later, dead:(. He did not have anything visible to see. I checked parameters, 0-0-10 or 20. So today I was doing a head count and noticed another cory doing the same thing AND I noticed my 2 inch albino bristle nose D.E.A.D.:ermm::ermm::(:(. Test parameters again, same as above, 0-0-10/20 and did a 75 PWC. I also took the filters apart, cleansed thoroughly, added new floss, rinsed biomax with new tank water, boiled all utensils, nets, etc...and letting them dry. So what did I do OR not do? What can I do to prevent further lose?

It sounds like you did the right thing with the water changes. I would have done then at the first sight of deaths though. I hope you didn't clean that liter media. Water hanged is about all you can do.

No, I never wash away my BB media... I performed this PWC the same way I do every week and swish/clean biomax with tank water

Sounds like something from the rummy noses infected the clan. Keep up some smaller water changes, always a great idea. Look for any other symptoms, and let us know so we can help diagnose it!

If the cats and Pleco's were eating the dead one it sounds like the rummys may have had something?

Sounds like something from the rummy noses infected the clan. Keep up some smaller water changes, always a great idea. Look for any other symptoms, and let us know so we can help diagnose it!

I agree with you about the rummy noses. Okay I am, thanks.

If the cats and Pleco's were eating the dead one it sounds like the rummys may have had something?

Yeah, agree!

Update:
Yesterday I did a 50% pwc and I stopped the Paraguard, no deaths EXCEPT for guess who? You got it, another rummy and I am down to 8 from 12. The smart thing I did this time....when I noticed one not swimming with the others, I net him, put in breeder, this morning...DEAD:(...I am trying not to be so soar about it but whoever lives, yay, but if they all die, I will never try them again...3x loser...:nono:

Alomst forgot to mention....I observed the albino bn and he/she had its defensive things flared out and died like that...making me suspect my adult bn was fighting it....ans YES she has that reputation, she has killed my other one...hmmmm

It's hard to say, but anytime you're adding new fish, quarantining them for at least a month is a really good idea. Aquariums are biologically isolated ecosystems, so adding anything new can be a risk. Think of the disease explorers brought to the new world that later infected Native American populations.

Sorry this happened! It sounds so upsetting. I'm glad to hear the deaths seem to have stopped. Crossing my fingers for you.

How odd the bottom dwellers and tetras seem to have taken the brunt of the issue. I suspect the problem may be the water parameters at the bottom of the tank. Pull a water sample from just above the gravel with a piece of airline and see what readings you get. When ever corys start dying the likely cause is water conditions. I would think some sort of pathogen would impact the ottos faster than the corys.

How odd the bottom dwellers and tetras seem to have taken the brunt of the issue. I suspect the problem may be the water parameters at the bottom of the tank. Pull a water sample from just above the gravel with a piece of airline and see what readings you get. When ever corys start dying the likely cause is water conditions. I would think some sort of pathogen would impact the ottos faster than the corys.

Nope, it was the tetra they ate because all test are great....I qm glad to say as of now no more deaths either

Back
Top Bottom