Decor for Mbuna Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 with mostly Mbuna in it. I'm looking to add more decor to it appropriate for Mbuna, but I'm paranoid about adding heavy stones. Does anyone have suggestions for safe, affordable lightweight alternatives to just stacking stone or Holey Rock?

they are called 'cichlid stones', basically hollow stones with a cave entrance. they are absolutely amazing for mbuna etc, look cool and are obv lightweight. i think u can get them in some lfs, but mostly online xx

p.s. what about making your own caves with silicone and slate?

Convict2161 said:
Cichlid Stones like post above stated or of course make your own. I made a tunnel it's hard to see but I think you can see the beginning of the tunnel. It goes from one side to the other.

Very nice-looking. What are the Cichlid stones made of? Are they heavy like stone, or lightweight like clay or ceramic?

jasadell said:
Very nice-looking. What are the Cichlid stones made of? Are they heavy like stone, or lightweight like clay or ceramic?

Light weight ceramic. I like them. Glad I bought them. Once filled with water they stack really nice and sturdy.

If you're worried about the weight, you can put egg crate down under the substrate to even out the weight of stones. I personally use about 60 lbs of rock in my 55g without egg-crate and have never had any issues. I don't have them all in a single big stack so I don't worry about them falling and cracking anything.

you will be surprised how much rock work you can add to a tank, the only issue i would see with the cichlid stone is cleaning out debris that may collect in there

rusty386 said:
you will be surprised how much rock work you can add to a tank, the only issue i would see with the cichlid stone is cleaning out debris that may collect in there

That's why power heads are your friends.

Today. I have too clean out the tank. It has been weeks ago. I hav a undergravel filter. So that has to be clean. It,s fun work

rusty386 said:

Never thought about that. Would not just vacuuming out the entry way do the trick?

rusty386 said:
can't see a fixed power head cleaning those pots out ....

Not if they are positioned correctly. I can easily see the flow in the sand under all my rock work. (5' of rock work at that)

Back
Top Bottom