Descions MH or VHO???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2revup

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I need to upgrade my lighting either VHO or MH Both are about the same price to purchse out right, but both for my situation have advantages and disadvantages
But let me paint the picture so i can get some other input here.

I have a 4 foot in my bedroom currently the tank has a built in hood, which keeps the tank quite, there are 3 HO tubes in the hood at the moment and there is also a trickle filter within the hood (just use noodles and carbon)
So my options are MH and VHO
with the MH i will have to rid the hood as the MH is the type you hang from the roof, which will make the tank a hell of a lot louder at night i can hear a trickle which is soothing, but when the hood its off i could imagne its is loud and wouldnt make for the best of sleep (parntner prolly wont like it at first )
However MH is easier to obtain parts (i am in Asutralia they dont sell VHO here, have to order it all from the US)
And the other down fall is the heat the only thing i can do is a chiller or put a fan over the top of the tank (more money)

But
VHO
I would be adding an extra tube for just under 400w of lighting = to the MH option.
The up sides are I can keep the hood and it wont be loud.
I Can built fans with in the hood (use computer fans 4 - 6 of them) to take the heat out of the hood and water.
However as said i am in Australia so i have to order everything from the US which can be a pain if i need something in a hurry.

Sorry for the long post but other input would be a huge help here i think.

Setting all things aside about where you live and not having acsess to VHO, I like the VHO`s as they give a good range of light without all that heat. Yeah you might not get to have clams and some other types of corals but you can still have a wide variety. Here is a pic of my tank to see what corals you can have.

img_691926_0_016712bb88bbce1e086afe25936470c3.jpg

img_691926_1_2ab9258a0b81f55a85adaa85c16c7731.jpg

Very Nice, melosu I have some Corals etc, but low light ones for now HO just dont cut it.

Depends on the corals you want to have. If you have low light corals and don't plan on adding much more than what you already have the VHOs may be the best option and the cheapest in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom