Desert rocks for aquariums....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peanutsmama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We took our dogs for a hike on BLM yesterday and found tons of cool rocks, can I stick them in my tanks or do I need to treat them in some way to make them safe?

Before doing anything take a few drops of vinegar and drop on each rock, if they sizzle or bubble you can't use them in the tank. If they test fine some people boil them but I'd just pour boiling water over them in the sink and give them a good scrubbing with a new toothbrush or similar (be sure you use something that has not been used in soap or with chemicals). That's it.

i get lots of my rocks from the BLM and i use them . just clean well with hot water. im in colorado and i have lots of sand stone and volcano rock here

Awesome! I will do the vinegar trick and boil them as well! Thanks for the Response : )
I am in Wyoming, but have no idea what kind of rocks they are, They just look really cool.

I'd just pour the boiling water over them, thats all I've ever done. Well along with scrubbing any dirt off them.

Thanks butterfly_koi! That could have been bad! I will use that article for reference often!

Back
Top Bottom