Diatoms (?) all over!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tank has been cycled since about December 1. I always had a little bit of a brown, algae like substance, but over the last several weeks it has exploded.

Diatoms are my guess. In particular, it uglies up the substrate, which is a sandlike substance I bought at PetSmart. It seems like if I gently stir the very surface of the substrate, it actually cleans it off and the diatoms turn into a "dust" in the water, which is then sucked out by the filtration system over the course of a few minutes. This is the only way I can get the substrate looking good again. Even vacuuming it doesn't really work, unless I suck it all up in there which I don't like to do.

Is this safe? Does it help or hurt overall? Any other ideas?

I've had the same problem for almost 2 years now. It has to do with silicates and phosphates in tap water. Get some otocinclus'; they feed on diatoms. I would also suggest once a month or every 2 months clean the glass and if you have any decor or fake plants to soak them in bleach water for 15-30 minutes and then rinse them off REALLY WELL. The bleach will remove the diatoms off the decor and plants, but after a few soakings the colors on the plants and decor will start to fade and the paint on the decor may chip off a little.

I agree with Anna, you may also benefit from leaving the plants in a bucket of water with dechlorinator for a bit.

You could also pick up a pack of phosphate remover made my seachem, I believe it is the same as Purigen - a mesh pack you can leave in your filter.

I don't have any fake plants, mine are all live - Hornwort, a Marimo ball, a Java Fern, and an Anubius nana.

Wouldn't removing phosphates w/the Seachem stuff "starve" the live plants as well?

As far as my water, I don't think it contains any phosphates or silicates, looking at the water test that was done a year ago on our tap (well) water.

I may throw an Oto in there. Would just one be enough for a 29G? I'm already fairly well stocked and don't want to overwhelm the biological filter. I've got 5 platies, 1 swordtail, and 6 serape tetras, along with one surviving ghost shrimp (I think the fish ate the others) and a little growing family of small snails that hitched a ride when I bought the hornwort (started with 3, now I have about 10).

I don't have any fake plants, mine are all live - Hornwort, a Marimo ball, a Java Fern, and an Anubius nana.

Wouldn't removing phosphates w/the Seachem stuff "starve" the live plants as well?

As far as my water, I don't think it contains any phosphates or silicates, looking at the water test that was done a year ago on our tap (well) water.
If its not from your tap water maybe look into the food/amount of food you give your fish, as some contain phosphates. I don't think the phosphate remover would affect plants but I'd look on seachem's website. I only suggested that because diatoms are usually caused by excess phosphates/silica

I have one other concern: my hornwort plants are so covered in these diatoms, I can't seem to easily rub it off without damaging the hornwort, and I'm concerned that they will block enough light to significantly damage the growth of the plants.

I have one other concern: my hornwort plants are so covered in these diatoms, I can't seem to easily rub it off without damaging the hornwort, and I'm concerned that they will block enough light to significantly damage the growth of the plants.
Looking back on I remember that my 10g also has this problem a while back. I had redone it in April (completely restarted the tank) and for a few months I had diatoms everywhere. After a while they started to dissapear and all of my plants that were covered in them no longer have that problem. I belive with a combination of time and a strict water changing regiment they should go away on their own. My tank was covered in them but they did go away, I think the same thing will happen to you. Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom